What's new

May Shatnerian Lament (alternate title: In Praise of Blythe & Co.) (1 Viewer)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
As I look at my freshly opened copy of Trek TOS vol. 27, I am stricken with an oddly bittersweet feeling. Having cherry-picked my way through the series (picking up approximately half of the discs produced), and looking at the enclosed list of upcoming releases, I realize that there are only 3 more volumes I intend to own:
#30 The Enterprise Incident / And The Children Shall Lead
#32 The Empath / The Tholian Web
#33 For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky / Day Of The Dove
While I know that season sets are the way of the future when it comes to Trek, let me say how much I’ve enjoyed the semi-monthly anticipation of re-discovering my favorite TV series. The transfer, sound, and packaging have all been superb…and in the end that’s all that matters. Bravo to all involved.
As far as the other two series are concerned (in my own, idyllic world I prefer to think that Voyager never happened), it looks like I have some tough choices to make. Is it worth paying for "Angel One" and "Shades of Grey" to get "Encounter at Farpoint"? Or that awful Quark-in-a-dress episode and "One Little Ship"... in order to to get "What You Leave Behind"? Time –and pricing– will tell, I guess.
But for now, all I can say is, "Thanks."
[Edited last by Todd Hostettler on July 13, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I believe that Paramount is making the wise decision to put out season boxes from now on, which means I have to buy the whole of season one TNG to get "Conspiracy" and "The Neutral Zone". :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wasn't Conspiracy the one where the little parasites were controlling top Starfleet brass? I wasn't too fond of that one and wasn't sure what other fans thought. But, then, I'm one of the few around these parts who likes Voyager, I gather.
laugh.gif

Oh, and the Neutral Zone was great. I love how they set up the introduction of the Borg that far in advance.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on July 14, 2001 at 03:34 AM]

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...and im sorry that this may rile those who have already purchased TOS one-by- one, but I am holding out for (if ever) it is also released in a season by season box- I just dont have the space for that many cases!- An XFILES type thingy is the correct equation...
S'funny, in Japan they had no problem releasing ST both in individual Laserdiscs, and Season Boxes...all at the same time;
I guess their marketers are not paraniod about profits-they know that a certain segment of the population will buy the individual discs, and others will opt for the boxes-thus, everyone gets serviced...and LDs were MUCH more expensive.
------------------

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Greg, yes, you are remembering "Conspiracy" correctly. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it's dark tone and inconclusive ending were something new for "Trek". They never followed up on that story but I always thought it would make a good jumping-off point for one of the TNG movies (much better than that silly "Insurrection" plot at any rate).
"Neutral Zone", in addition to being the first encounter with the Borg (although we didn't know it at the time) was also noteworthy for bringing the Romulans back into play in the Trek universe.
"Conspiracy"/"Neutral Zone" was a great one-two punch to end the first season of TNG, which up to that point had been undistinguished. These two eps got me hooked on TNG for good.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 38 to go!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Craig,
Conspiracy was watchable, just not my favorite. The Neutral Zone was when the series really took off in my opinion, also. I'm not sure if season 2 was as good as the middle seasons, but I know I grew to like Dr. Pulaski.
As for Conspiracy, I'll forgo spoilers since the episodes are so old, but wasn't the guy who was zapped at the end the guy who was such a jerk when inspecting the Enterprise a few episodes prior? My memory is hazy, so was he just a jerk, or was he infected in the earlier episode, too?

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Speaking for the "paranoid-about profits" (that's a quote from this thread), I've got to say that I enjoyed reading your posting Todd, after all we've been through taking shots for releasing the series so slowly. It's hilarious that now I'll have to take shots for giving the fans what they want: season box sets. Just you wait for the complaints. I would expect that the main one will be that Paramount is releasing season box sets because we're/they're greedy and want the fans to buy all the episodes they don't want. Ah, the irony.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You'll definitely get that, as I've already seen it around the net. Hopefully, those complaining are a vocal minority. I think most people are going to be happy about the season boxes. I know I am.

Jeff Webb

Auditioning
Some of these episodes, may indeed, gain appreciation as being highly underrated, if for no other reason than to make us laugh! (I.E. Your Quark In a dress episode)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Martin,
Please don't misunderstand the purpose of my post. I by no means take offense at your decision to do season sets. Anyone who's been on this forum for a reasonable amount of time knows that you are simply acknowledging popular demand.
I just wanted you to know I personally appreciate the way you've handled the TOS releases. They will be a cornerstone of my collection for many years to come. Thanks.
(UPDATE: I find myself wavering when it comes to my decision to pass on Vol. 17. I might have to get that "Greek God Apollo knocks up a female crewman episode"... just to get my grubby hands on "Amok Time.")

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Mr Blythe, speaking for myself, if TNG eps were released individually, I wouldn't even buy Conspiracy/TNZ... Due to my "collector's mentality", I want all the season, or nothing, and when there are 20+ eps, season boxsets are the only way to go. :)
Of course you can always go the MGM route, and release both types (boxsets of keepcases, and individual keepcases).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
Although some might complain, I want to let you know that I'm VERY pleased with the decision to go with season boxed sets. It makes much more sense for my collection. I have already bought X-files, Stargate, Sex and the City, and plan to buy The Simpsons. They are all nice and compact in my collection, and are a great value. The latter 3 Star Treks will be a very nice addition to my collection. I only got through season 1 of buying TNG on VHS - because it was getting 1) costly and 2) cumbersome. Season1 takes up a shelf unto itself. A DVD boxed set of season1 takes up a few inches.
I would say that I prefer the Stargate/James Bond packaging method to X-files/Simpsons/Sex in the City. However, the packaging isn't going to sway my purchase decision in the least. Just personal preference.
Thank you again, as always.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
I am very excited you are coming out with season box sets. And especially excited because you are starting with TNG. My only complaint is that I have to wait until next year to get them!
wink.gif
On a serious note. When you said the release date is next year. Are we talking Jan/Feb or Summer.
Thanks!!
ps-Now if we can only get Mission Impossible.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Todd H, I knew what you were saying and didn't misunderstand. I was just enjoying the moment.
Todd S, earlier rather than later. More I cannot say.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Martin,
I was going to post this before reading your last post, so "more than I can say" will probably include this.
wink.gif
I've got to try, though:
Do you have a rough estimate of when the Voyager box would hit after the initial TNG box? Are we talking a couple of months or a year? Anything but after all 7 TNG boxes come out, please!
I know you guys are working all this out, but my hope would be for two seasons per year for all three series. Six boxes a year would be expensive as hell, but it beats waiting 7+ years to finish the set. Just a thought.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks