"MAY" Horror? Comedy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I saw May yesterday, a gamble that, for me, paid off. This under promoted little horror flick made the festival circuit last year and just opened Feb. 7.
    If you like things a little off kilter this may be your kind of flick. I think most fans of The Nightmare Before Christmas will like it just for a featured doll.

Jim

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Jim,
    I did a search and can't find any other thread about this title.

Crawdaddy

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I hope the flick makes it to Philly within the next few weeks. I've heard good things about this one.

The current release seems to be a Test Run of some sort. According to a little research...it's only playing in seven theaters...?

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Hehe, this is the film that I was speaking of in my MPAA topic a while back, but I'm sure you all remember that fiasco. Yet another one I am dying to see. MAY has gotten some excellent reviews from some people I trust, and the film sounds right up my alley. Its one film I definitely won't miss.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

FWIW, Harry Knowles had this as his #10 film on his top ten list. He said it was being test marketed in 3 cities, Austin being one of them, before Lion's Gate decided whether to release it to additional cities or go straight to video.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

You know...

Nothing at all against the fine folks in Austin (or wherever else they're test-screening the flick) but this kind of thing always irks me.

How in the HELL does the reaction of two random neighborhoods offer any indication of how 'general audiences' will embrace a flick.

"Well they didn't show up in Austin, so there's NO WAY we wanna release this into 150 art houses across the country..."

I shouldn't complain. Philadelphia seems to get 95% of the Limited Releases out there.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Austin now has 4 theaters that get the art house fare on at least some of their screens.
    May might have done well at the Dobie or the Alamo Draft House. Instead, it's at two mainstream Southside theaters. When I saw the film at a Sunday matinee there were 4 people in the auditorium, counting me.
    So, yes, maybe quickly to DVD. Which I will buy.
    I am now an Angela Bettis fan.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

This is still onscreen at the Regal Metropolitan in Austin. Perhaps you can catch it before it is no more.

9. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

One thing I am sure of "If February doesn't March, April May. hehehe [​IMG]