May be moving, considering sonotube for Tempest.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Since I may be moving into a dorm room or apartment evantually I would be interested in building a smaller enclosure for my Tempest. I like the idea of a ported design. But unfortuneately, Tempest + ported usually means a large volume enclosure.

That is why I am considering a sonotube enclosure. A sonotube enclosure could be very tall, but take up comparatively low amount of floor area. I am pretty happy with my SBB4 Tempest, but I think for the next model I may want to try one with a bit more musicality, probably the Adire Alignment.

If I wanted to build a sonosub with the same performance as the box equilvilent do I simply use the same internal volume and amount of poly fill? Is there anything else to it at all?

I figure that like this I could simply transport Tempest between boxes rather than moving these large enclosures long distances. Also, how much does a sonotube enclosure cost to build versus a box one?

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

"If I wanted to build a sonosub with the same performance as the box equilvilent do I simply use the same internal volume and amount of poly fill? Is there anything else to it at all?"
    yep,nope.

depends on how much tube you have to buy and if ya got any mdf layin around.

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

If you can buy Sonotube by the foot it may not be too bad. Most construction supply houses want to sell it in 12 foot lengths here in the colonies. One retailer wanted about $7-8 per foot plus a couple of bucks for each cut. In my experience sub designs are based on interior volume, square or round makes no difference.