What's new

May Be Getting a Free Piano - Is it Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It certainly looks nice, even for an entry level piano.
For no charge, I'd find a place in my house for it. I played piano as a child and would love something like this to relearn how to play.
I'd go for it, if not just to use as a nice plant stand. Just take care of the wood and finish.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Stan said:
I'd go for it, if not just to use as a nice plant stand. Just take care of the wood and finish.
That's the big thing - if you seriously make plans to use it. Otherwise it quickly takes up space.
It's probably too late at this point, as I'm sure the person is wanting to get rid of it fairly quickly, but to anyone else contemplating a similar situation, I'd recommend you invest in, or borrow, an inexpensive keyboard first. See if you're going to take the time to learn - they are a lot more compact and in some cases, can actually aid in the learning process. If you find that you struggle to 'find the time' to learn on a keyboard, I'd say moving a piano in, even a free one, is not the right idea.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice.
When a mover quoted me $350 to move it, I pretty much said forget it and told the person offering it to us to give it to the next interested party.
And yeah, I really don't have the time to invest a ton of time learning it.
I have Rock Band 3 with the keyboard (I've gotten a little bit better at it) and I've got an iPad (plenty of Keyboard/Piano apps) and if I want to take the next step, I'll get an electric keyboard from Costco or something like that. But in reality, I'm a bit far from a real Piano at this point.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Good advice Kevin.
That's why forums like this can be so helpful. They bring a big dose of reality to things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks