1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

May Austin HTF Meet.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Colin Dunn, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Colin:
    I won't make dinner Friday, so please e-mail me the addresses for Friday.

thanks!

2. Rajiv Arora

Rajiv Arora Agent

Colin,

I won't be able to make Friday night. I should be able to attend most of Saturday except the late nigtht portion.

I am OK with you emailing addresses to the RSVPers.

-Rajiv

3. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Colin,

I may or may not make the dinner Friday night, so please shoot me directions for the first HT. I am trying to convince the wife to come along so shee can see what others have done on modest budgets (she has only seen A/V Interiors) as I am ready to start the dedicated HT room at my place.

I am also OK with you emailing my address to the RSVPers.

4. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

I'm not going to make dinner on Friday either. I will still be eating at the Oasis on Saturday, but Darlene will not.

Maybe those eating dinner on Friday night should do so and wrap up by 7:15 or something like that. Then the rest of us could meet in the parking lot at that time and go as a group to arrive at Rich Avery's place.

5. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I'm not going to be able to make dinner either. I want to finish building a screen for Saturday and need a couple of hours Friday night. I still plan on making the theaters. Can you please email me the adress for the first stop? Thanks!

6. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Colin,

Doh! I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Been swamped at work.

As for my slot, I'm not sure it'll be at all worthwhile. My HT is *definitely* a nighttime only system, especially with a nearly used-up bulb in the LT150. At 6pm its barely watchable as a TV, and not at all suitable for HT demos. Plus, it would really diminish all the work I did on my custom masking system. We rarely watch TV during the day, especially in Summer, so its not really an issue for us. The only daytime TV we watch is football, so we bring the bedroom TV out in the fall.

So perhaps I should remove myself from the schedule and possibly host the next event?

Sorry for the late notice, I've been working 55hr weeks lately...

-Dave

7. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Dave -

If you feel up to hosting, we could concentrate on the audio side of your system since I just now learned about the light-control issues in your HT. I was really looking forward to seeing your HT, given the raves I've seen about it in other threads.

But if the long hours have gotten to you, we can just stretch out our time at the other HTs on Saturday.

Let me know either way...

8. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Here is the RSVP list so far:

Jonathan Atkins
    Nils Luehrmann
    Frederick Falk + wife
    Rich Avery
    Jeff Meininger
    Mike Frontier
    Chad Anson
    Rajiv Arora
    Dave Elliott
    Chris Lewis
    Julian Turner
    Hank Frankenberg
    Mark J
    Scott Oliver
    Colin Dunn

Saturday lunch crowd: 10 (maybe 12): Jonathan Atkins, Nils Luehrmann, Rich Avery, Jeff Meininger, Chad Anson, Rajiv Arora, Hank Frankenberg, Mark J, Scott Oliver, Colin Dunn, Frederick Falk and wife (maybe)

Friday dinner crowd: 3 (maybe 4-5): Chad Anson, Mark J, Colin Dunn, Frederick Falk and wife (maybe)

---

There are a few loose ends to tie up:

- If you are planning at being at the Friday dinner or the Saturday lunch, please let everyone know. I will handle the reservation for Carrabba's on Friday.
    - Who is handling the reservation for the Oasis on Saturday? Or do we just show up there? (It is a very big place and I suspect they could accommodate us there pretty easily)
    - Dave Elliott may or may not be able to host. Dave - please confirm in this thread as soon as possible whether or not you are actually hosting. I think it would still be worthwhile to see your setup. You could demonstrate the audio portion of your system, as well as your room improvements and how the custom masking system works.
    - What are we doing about refreshments? Are hosts providing them, or should guests bring them? One important note: To protect everyone's safety, please exercise extreme caution with alcoholic beverages at this event. This event requires a lot more driving than previous Austin HTF meets. We do not want any accidents or tragedies...

9. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I am only a maybe for lunch on Saturday.

10. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I'm probably not going to be able to do dinner tonight -- finishing up my screen frame. My receiver came in yesterday and I want to try to through together audio/video capability to my theater before the meet on Sat. I do plan on meeting you guys at the first stop after dinner.

I will be at the Oasis for lunch.

I plan on providing refreshment for my theater -- sodas, beer and light snacks.

11. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I don't think we need a reservation at The Oasis. I may have an out-of-town guest Saturday.

Also, who's up for poker Sunday evening?[​IMG]

12. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

The Kid will show you wanks how poker's done [​IMG]

Sorry for being out of the loop for a while, I finished up my finals on the 9th and have been in Bryan these past few days for the usual six-month tune-ups at the doc's. I find out today at the allergist if I'm allergic to my dog [​IMG] (which is a pretty safe bet unfortunately). Also, I've now finished all my engineering coursework. I just have to test out of one government class this summer and I can apply for graduation.

13. Jeff Meininger

Change of plans for me: I will still be hosting tonight, but will be unable to visit the theater before or after me. I have to stay home and work... happy birthday to me! I'll be here when you all arrive, though, and very ready for a break I'm sure. [​IMG]

I will still be attending lunch at the Oasis and some theaters after that. I'll have to go back to work at some point, though, so I'll be dropping out of the pack early. [​IMG]

14. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

All,

I have not forgot the meet. I been realy busy with work and then my daughter got sick 2 days ago so I been having my hands tied up.

I am hoping still my mother will pick up my kids up and watch them so I can do everything with you guys tonight.

I also have to run to Dell Computers at 6:00pm so more then likely I cannot make it to the dinner,, but everything else I should be ok with.

Is there anyone here that can PM me there cell phone number to see where you all are at so I can get directions to what house you guys are at?

I picked up 2 VHS tapes today that are still theater releases called NARC and JUST MARRIED and I can project them of my PJ (looks ok). I am hopeing that the transfer is not to dark though. [​IMG]

So I am about to get off of work now so I can clean up my house since the my son loves to have hot wheels all over the furniture. By anychance how many people will be doing the meets tonight? B/C my house is pretty small and I am hopeing that everyone will be comfortable in my living room area space. [​IMG]

But please someone can please make sure to PM me (someone) an cell number that I can get a hold of tonight so I can get directions to where-ever the meet is at that currect time when I make it?. I can't wait to meet everyone today.

Take care,

Mike

[​IMG]

Oh btw.. anyone here run an HTPC?
    I am wanting to know more about it if someone knows alot about it. I am thinking about going HTPC to get rid of used space that an PC can take over and be alot less furniture. [​IMG]

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Mike,

I don't think you gave any of us your address, or at least the email I got from Colin mentioned he was still waiting to get that from you.

You can call me on my mobile @ 554-4887

16. Jeff Meininger

Thanks for coming by, everyone!

Someone left a clipboard / notepad over here. I will bring it to Oasis tomorrow unless the owner isn't going to be there.

I wish I would have asked more questions and sought more criticism/advice while you all were over here. But now I'm asking... anything come to mind? After seeing/hearing my setup, do you think I would benefit from any particular room treatments or setup modifications?

I'm looking forward to seeing many more setups tomorrow and comparing the differences.

I really enjoyed hosting. I'll have a real movie night sometime soon.

17. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm going to have to bail on this afternoon. Too many things to do that I have neglected the last few weeks.

I promise to host a movie night or meeting soon though ;-)

-Dave

18. Mark J

Mark J Extra

Guys,

I had a great time!

Who is it?

Home theater police!

Who???

--Mark

19. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

That was a great meet! So many kudos to be handed out.

Of course many thanks to all the hosts! You all not only opened your homes to all us HT zealots, but also shared with us your HT experiences and allowed us to appreciate your hard work and excellent results.

Kudos to Frederick and his wife, Melinda, who generously offered to remove their HT system from the schedule as it didn't make much sense, time wise, for the whole group to drive all the way out to Lago Vista for only one HT. Originally we were going to also screen Dave's system, but he had removed his HT system from the schedule that morning. By saving the trip to Lago Vista, Frederick and Melinda allowed us to spend more time at the other HT systems, even though I know they were really looking forward to getting advice from the group regarding strategies for converting their garage into a home theater. Perhaps when Dave schedules a movie night, those attending could first drop by the Falk's home and spend a few minutes going over possible designs?

Another kudos to Dr. J who had originally suggested this type of meet, but unfortunately was not able to attend himself.

And kudos to the majority members who voted on option 'B' for this meet! (I obviously did not have the foresight and regrettably voted for option 'A', but am pleased that I was in the minority.)

Kudos to Collin for his excellent coordination of this event, for which with out his efforts the meet would most likely not have come to fruition.

And last, but certainly not least, kudos to all the significant others for allowing us 'boyz' to invade your homes and make the walls shake a little. [​IMG]

Of all the HTs that were scheduled, I think I only missed Mike's, and Chris' - and as such I would love to hear how those went.

Rich,
    I loved your HT room design. Very comfortable seating and excellent acoustics. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your system and it shows.

Jeff,
    Your system is a fantastic example of how it is possible to have a first rate HT system in a non-dedicated HT room. I was very impressed with your DIY speakers, and to know that it was only your first attempt truly blew me away and as such you have encouraged me to strongly consider that route as well. That Panny is one heck of a machine and is strong evidence that LCD is putting up a heck of a fight against DLP, and at that price range I wouldn't consider any other projector - amazing! I'll go into greater detail how impressed I was with your's and Chad's L300's in a later thread, but in the meantime - well done!

Chad,
    Well you already know my overall opinion of your projector choice (see above), but more importantly, I can not begin to tell you how impressed I am with the 'canvas' that you have in front of you for creating a truly magnificent HT room!!! I would really enjoy helping you design and build out this fantastic room. BTW: Call me to arrange a time to pick up my copy of 'Master Handbook of Acoustics':
    [​IMG]
    I also have all three levels of NCSA's 'Audio Systems Technology: Handbook for Installers and Engineers':
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If you would like to borrow any or all of these just let me know.

Rajiv,
    You have a marvelous HT system and I truly enjoyed hearing your B&W's. Those chairs were also very comfortable - where, if you do not mind me asking, did you find those? They look very Danish/Scandinavian.

Julian,
    Obviously you already know, but what a magnificent acoustically designed and treated room! It was a true pleasure to listen to your VMPS ribbon monitors, and that sub.... oh my. That had to be one of the best bass response experiences I have ever had!!!! Oh yeah, the view was wonderful, and I like the terrace crow's nest you built on top of your home - what a fantastic place to watch the western storms come rolling by!

It was a great pleasure getting together with you all, and I truly hope many of you find the time to host a 'Movie Night' in the near future so that not only can we enjoy your company, but take pleasure in all the hard work you all have invested in the creation of your HT systems!

20. Rajiv Arora

Rajiv Arora Agent

Many thanks for the kind words and great advice from the learned crowd!

It is clear that I have a significant room mode that needs to be tamed. Part of the problem, it turns out, was the fact that my subwoofer level was miscalibrated after all. I recently moved the sub to its current position, and neglected to re-check the levels. Late last night I found that my sub level was up +4 db from where it should have been, according to my RS SPL meter. I should have taken up Julian's offer to check the calibration! That could explain some, but not all, of the bloat we heard toward the end of "Pines of Rome", AKA, the migrating whales.

As you all saw, our HT is designed around the compromise of a very small room (12'x15'). Seatng past 4 gets very tight. Also, the small room tends to restrict the ability of the speakers to really "sing" in audio-only listening. At some point I might put together a dedicated 2-ch system in the (larger) living room for pure SACD listening.

Special thanks to Julian for his advice on bass traps, and to Chris and Colin for helping me solve the deinterlacing artifacts we saw on Avia. That turns out to be solvable by setting the progressive mode from "auto1" to "Auto2" on the Pioneer DV-47A. Also, the smearing of lines on Chris's Bang&Olufsen test disk was solved by tweaking the black level setting of the player. As Chris explained, we were hitting the noise floor of the video DAC.

And thanks all for opening your homes and HTs for us.

-Rajiv