1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

May Austin HTF Meet.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Colin Dunn, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Rajiv Arora

Rajiv Arora Agent

Nils, no argument. Sounds like we may be down to a manageable number.

Light control is a tricky issue. Having spent far more money than I anticipated on this aspect, I know what I would do if I were to start again.

Assuming you want to go with "window treatments", i.e. you live with a female of some kind, then my suggestion is to bite the bullet and go with dark drapes with a blackout lining. Depending on the thickness and color of the fabric, you might get away without the blackout lining and instead use an inexpensive rolldown opaque shade in conjunction with the drapes. For drapes, velvet appears to be a popular theme in the Austin HT community. :cool:

I originally opted for cellular blackout shades. Since my HT was originally the formal living room, it has large windows. The blackout shades are not inexpensive, but they do block out direct light 100%. But it's that pesky leakage around the edges that is their undoing. What we ended up doing was further investing in dark valances that drape down the sides of the window and block the leakage. Given all that, we would have been better off just going with drapes to begin with. It's a softer look, and it can do double duty in absorbing reflections (to a degree of course).

-Rajiv

2. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    I worked up a revised schedule, and here it is. Because Julian's theater is on the opposite side of the Austin metro area of almost all the others, I think we should save his for another meet. (Maybe Julian can host a meet in June or July, or host a movie night.) This gives us nine home theaters to visit - three on Friday evening, and six more on Saturday afternoon/evening.

Friday, May 16

We should start out with dinner in a location in northwest Austin, in the 183/Arboretum area. I suggest Carrabba's on 183 (unless someone comes up with a better idea).

6:00PM - Dinner (Carrabba's on 183?)
    7:30-8:15PM - Rajiv Arora
    8:30-9:15PM - Jeff Meininger
    9:30-10:15PM - Mike Frontier

Saturday, May 17

The tour resumes Saturday. We start with a leisurely lunch at the Oasis, and then proceed along 620 to visit two home theaters. Then we move on to Lago Vista to see a couple more. After that, we head to northeast Austin, and then finish out the day in Round Rock.

12:00PM-1:30PM Lunch (Oasis)
    2:00PM-2:45PM Chad Anson
    3:00PM-3:45PM Rich Avery
    4:30PM-5:15PM Frederick Falk
    5:30PM-6:15PM Dave Elliott
    7:15PM-8:00PM Chris Lewis
    8:15PM-9:00PM Jonathan Atkins

If you come to this meet, be prepared to put a couple hundred miles on your car...

---

Does this schedule look good to everyone? I think this gets all the theaters with light-control issues into the evening hours (after 8PM). Will 45 minutes at each stop be enough, or should I rework the schedule with hour-long sessions? I am assuming 15-minute drive times from site to site, except for the trips in and out of Lago Vista (I allowed 45 minutes to get to Lago from northwest Austin, and an hour to get back out to northeast Austin).

3. Julian Turner

Hello Colin,
    Yeah, I was afraid that I would be a little too far out of the way. No problem. I guess I am the "trendsetter" for the "new growth" side of the city [​IMG] (areas East of the airport are projected to grow by something like 200,000+ people in the next 10 years; hopefully most of them with HTs [​IMG] )

Anyway, count me and my wife in on viewing the parade of homes (but we will most likely skip the dinner and lunch). We definitely look forward to seeing all the other HTs.

Julian

4. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

If you come to this meet, be prepared to put a couple hundred miles on your car...

---------------------> Thank God I have a little acura now for the gas commute on this road trip [​IMG]

5. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I think I saw that Dave lived out in Lakeway, too. Maybe we can carpool?

6. Rajiv Arora

Rajiv Arora Agent

Sorry Colin, but this'll have to change a bit. As I mentioned in one of my posts, I need to be in the "daytime" group, since I have little kids and cannot host in the evening. Also, I *do* have full light control, so can give up the Friday slot to someone who does not.

Regards,

-Rajiv

7. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

In the interest of time I think I should drop my HT off the list as well. Since I host a movie night now and then everyone should eventually get around to seeing it anyway.

8. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Jonathan,

With all of the recent changes you have made to your system, I think there are several people, myself included, that would like to see them and the plans you have for the immediate future. I would encourage you to stay on the list! I think that once others see your setup, there will be more people lining up to watch movies at your place.

9. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Julian -

If Jonathan decides not to host, we could probably get to your HT Saturday evening.

Rajiv -

I think I'll swap your time with Rich Avery's time, if he's OK with hosting on Friday evening. That will move you to Saturday afternoon.

I will post and mail out a revised schedule with these changes this evening.

10. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Here is the latest revision to the schedule. Hopefully this will meet everyone's needs. I've moved Rajiv Arora to Saturday afternoon and swapped Rich Avery's time in to Friday evening. And if Jonathan doesn't want to host this time around, we can reinstate Julian Turner's HT into the tour.

Friday, May 16
    6:00PM - Dinner (Carrabba's on 183)
    7:30-8:15PM - Rich Avery
    8:30-9:00PM - Jeff Meininger
    9:15-10:00PM - Mike Frontier

Saturday, May 17
    12:00PM-1:30PM Lunch (Oasis)
    2:00PM-2:45PM Chad Anson
    3:00PM-3:45PM Rajiv Arora
    4:30PM-5:15PM Frederick Falk
    5:30PM-6:15PM Dave Elliott
    7:15PM-8:00PM Chris Lewis
    8:15PM-9:00PM Jonathan Atkins
    -or-
    8:45PM-9:30PM Julian Turner

Please let me know if we need any other changes. And if there are no more changes, everyone start cleaning up your HTs and planning your demos!!!

11. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Hey fellas,

Before I head out, I thought you guys might be interested in a couple new projectors coming out. One with the first 4-way keystone correction processor (as if digital projectors needed to be even more easy to install [​IMG] ), and the first 3-chip HD2 DLP projector designed specifically for home theater.

I posted the info on Mike's Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out? thread, as that seemed the best place considering all the posts regarding various projectors.

12. Rajiv Arora

Rajiv Arora Agent

Fantastic!

Just a procedural note - it's about a 20-25 minute drive from Lakeway to where I am, so the 15 minutes you have between Chad and myself may be a bit optimistic.

But- if we keep this thing anywhere near on schedule, it'll be a miracle! The heck with schedules I say - let's just enjoy the parade.

-Rajiv

13. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Well personally I'm more interested in seeing Julian's system, so for those who want to see mine you'll just have to come to a movie night!

14. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Just a *BUMP* to make sure no one forgets about this thread.

Julian - if you are reading this thread, are you still willing to host? Jonathan decided not to host, so the time slot at the end of the day Saturday has opened up.

Let me know if you want to host or not. If not, I will host for that final time slot. But hardly anyone here (besides Scott Oliver) has seen your setup, while I've hosted several times before ... so it would be fun to see your set-up...

15. Julian Turner

Hello Colin,
    I am in for Saturday. Putting me last will work out great. For those that are tired and/or don't want to do the drive, then they can just skip mine. For the rest of the "hardcore HT" crowd, I am quite sure we can keep things rocking way into the wee hours of the morning [​IMG]

Julian

16. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Colin,
    What do you think about posting an updated list with rough areas of town of the destination theaters? Could help us facilitate carpooling, etc. Thanks, as always, for handling the logistics!

17. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    OK, here is the final line-up. I will bring detailed directions with house-to-house driving directions to the actual meet(s).

Friday, May 16
    6:00PM - Dinner (Carrabba's on 183 - northwest Austin)
    7:30-8:15PM - Rich Avery (northwest Austin)
    8:30-9:00PM - Jeff Meininger (Cedar Park)
    9:15-10:00PM - Mike Frontier (Leander)

Saturday, May 17
    12:00PM-1:30PM Lunch (Oasis - west Austin, near Lake Travis)
    2:00PM-2:45PM Chad Anson (Lakeway)
    3:15PM-4:00PM Rajiv Arora (Northwest Austin)
    4:30PM-5:15PM Frederick Falk (Lago Vista)
    5:30PM-6:15PM Dave Elliott (Lago Vista)
    7:15PM-8:00PM Chris Lewis (northeast Austin)
    8:45PM-9:30PM Julian Turner (southeast, near Bastrop)

I've allowed about 45 minutes at each site, with varying drive-times based on the addresses I was given in private E-mail. I thought about bumping the time to an hour per theater, but we probably couldn't see them all with that much time. So if you are hosting, please try to have your demo material ready and technical issues resolved. (I should know, my theater always seems to have technical problems during a meet. [​IMG] Maybe it has performance anxiety...)

If you are coming to the meets, please RSVP to me or to this thread. Has anyone set up reservations for the Oasis yet? Once I have a headcount for the Friday meet, I will set up a reservation at Carrabba's.

18. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

19. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Is everyone who's hosting OK with me providing their addresses to people who RSVP for the meet? I was kind of wondering if someone would bring up Nils's concern - being unable to make the lunch or part of the meet.

When you RSVP, if you need directions provided via E-mail instead of at the meet, please let me know.

I am assuming that everyone who has volunteered to host will also be participating in the rest of the meet unless I hear otherwise...

20. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Since my theater is about half-completed, 45 minutes probably won't be necessary and we should be able to get to the next stop on time. I plan on rigging up a screen and the projector to give yall some sense of the final product.

Colin, I'm okay with you sharing my address to RSVPers. I'll email it to you along with directions.

I'm RSVPing for Friday (including Carraba's) and through Dave Elliot's house on Saturday.