What's new

May 7, one expensive day!..... (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I should say first that I hope everyone gets everything they want.
Having said that, I should say that I don't support
"more TV shows on DVD".
It doesn't make any sense to me.
Ben Hur - one DVD - about US$20
Lawrence of Arabia - two DVDs - about US$20
All of Star Wars - 12 DVDs - about US$150
and...
All of Star Trek - 3907450982 DVDs - about US$3490845098
Plus or Minus...
If I started watching all of the episodes of all the Star Trek programs now - by sleeping 45 minutes less every night and watching one episode instead - I might have seen them all once by the time my life is over.
This seems like madness to me.
In the case of multi-year TV shows that are full frame and at best Dolby Surround, an S-VHS tape at SP from a TV broadcast is going to be so close that it will be hard to tell the difference and you can buy a Ferrari and a Porsche with the money you save.
I can understand buying the DVDs if you have one beloved show that means more to you than all the rest, but to buy all of them is madness.
That said, I hope anything that anyone wants to see is available soon on DVD.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, I think your numbers on Trek may be a hair off. ;)
There aren't that many episodes, really. Sure, there are many... but watching one a day and a few more during the weekends and you'll have seen the lot soon enough.
Then I can of course invite some other geeks who are as pathetic as I am and we can dedicate a sunday to a Trek marathon. :D
Besides, I haven't even seen all episodes yet, and getting to watch them completely without commercials, with great pq and sound is great, IMHO.
That said, I'm going to be getting just the science fiction series that I really like, no plans on starting to buy less interesting series.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ken,
Taste is subjective. Some of us would love to own and watch all of these series in a high quality, durable format.
Tape wears out.
TV has screen-burning, irritating bugs. TNT has black strips and a squeezed image!
TV has commercials to skip or edit, and syndication versions have been cut even more to allow for more commercials!
Archiving huge series to SVHS takes time and dedication...much more than the time and dedication to watch. Tons of shelf space, and good tapes aren't free! In SP mode with a good tape (what you want if you try to compete with DVD) you are talking 2 or 3 bucks an episode! Discounted, Star Trek TNG is a little over 3 bucks an episode!
And well made DVDs of TV do look and sound WAY better than the broadcasts that most people without C-Band dishes receive.
Oh, and if you skipped Voyager (I will), it would take you about 14 months to watch all of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9) at 1 episode per night.
If you think we need to get a life, so be it. I could buy every Star Trek, X-Files, Avengers, Secret Agent, MASH, Buffy DVD set released, and I'd still have fewer hours in my collection than some people I know...collections that contain mostly TERRIBLE (in my opinion) movies.
But, if you find a Ferrari that I can afford by selling my entire DVD collection, let me know. I could get by renting as long as I had the Passion Rosa.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I should say first that I hope everyone gets everything they want.
Having said that, I should say that I don't support
"more TV shows on DVD".
It doesn't make any sense to me.
*snip*
This seems like madness to me.
*snip*
I can understand buying the DVDs if you have one beloved show that means more to you than all the rest, but to buy all of them is madness.
That said, I hope anything that anyone wants to see is available soon on DVD.
Ken Stuart, I never said that I wanted to personally own every TV show ever made. Or that ALL TV shows should come to DVD. But I do want *MORE*: More *choices* available, more episodes to buy *IF I CHOOSE TO*, and more commercial-free no-bug-in-the-corner watch-'em-when-I-damn-well-feel-like-it old and not-so-old made-for-television programming out on DVD for me to buy, *when and if I can afford it*.
EXAMPLES: I don't own every ST:TOS disc; right now I own less right at half of them. I've held off buying XF Season 4 because me and my wife haven't cleared S2 yet! So XF S5, when it ships, is iffy for us as well. SG:SG1 S2 will wait unless we respark our interest; watching them the 2nd time hasn't proven to be as exciting as we thought it would be. Sex In The City started out cool, but hasn't burned our interest as consistantly as we thought it would at first. I have no interest in E.R. or AbFab or Fawlty Towers or Queer As Folk or Band Of Brothers. I'm glad those shows are out for other folks, but I won't get them. I would also skip King of the Hill (which other people are asking for), as my watching of the syndicated shows reveals to me that things aren't always better the 2nd time around. I have not yet bought Buffy or Roots, and the latter will probably never be bought since I didn't get it the first day (I've never seen it, I'm curious, but there's just no driving motivation now that I'm past the "release day rush"...perhaps if I ever see it cheap, but not before).
As more GOOD choices become available, the so-so choices become less important to me. Another good reason to want "more": you get more of what you WANT, and less of what you'll settle for! (Gee, just like the early days of films on DVD, huh?)
Must-See TV for me includes M*A*S*H, All In The Family, Friends, Simpsons, Are You Being Served?, and Star Trek: TNG...all of which are shows that I have never missed during broadcast unless something more important than TV happenned (like tonight I missed most of Friends because I was refinancing my mortgage!). Add Doctor Who to the list, since I never saw enough of it when PBS broadcast it too-late-in-the-evening for my bedtime! Add The Young Ones to the list, since it's just 12 episodes. Add Sopranos to the list, which I was all set to ignore on DVD until I ran into a used set in perfect condition for under $50, and took a chance...now me and the missus are hooked solid (and I tuned into Grounded For Life last night JUST because of "Big Pussy" having a guest appearance as the mom's "made man", a character named "Uncle Sal"!! (Sorpranos fans know what I'm talkin' about here!)
If Hulk, WKRP, Galactica, The Tick, or Married With Children came out on disc, I'd be there very quickly for all episodes (except perhaps the later years of MWC, though that'd be a close call...it fell off but not too far).
Anyway, guys, here's the bottom line. I know you didn't intend for your posts to be personal attacks on me or insults or anything. You were just making jokes and stating your own opinions. I'll even apolgize for taking up so much bandwidth for this reply! :laugh:
But I've been trying to encourage studios to release more TV product on DVD because it was a good cause and helped everyone, not just me. TV on DVD was by-and-large ignored up until the recent bonanza we're seeing now...JUST IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS, I'LL REMIND YOU!! Before then, it was a "vast wasteland" ;) , and that situation encouraged my signature, other guys to include similar sentiments in their signatures, and Gord Lacey to invent his excellent website (see my sig).
So, to each their own. Please don't cut me down for trying to help everyone. And - I'm CERTAIN you were joking, Ken_McAlinden, but it still hit me wrong - noone should take it seriously when I joke about squandering serious money needed elsewhere for what is, after all, a hobby. I'd never screw over my family for a DVD...NEVER! (As you can tell, just the thought of it touches a nerve here).
Again, I'm sorry for ranting here...I guess I'm a bit defensive tonight. I feel better after explaining, so don't feel like I'm going to stay upset or anything.
Peace out.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Have the details for the Swiss Family Robinson disc been released yet?
I've only seen what Amazon.com says are the details and they list it as a pan & scan. :frowning:

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Dick Tracy 1990

Joe vs. the Volcano 1990

Three Men and a Baby 1987

Three Men and a Little Lady 1990

Turner & Hooch 1989

David - ?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In the case of multi-year TV shows that are full frame and at best Dolby Surround, an S-VHS tape at SP from a TV broadcast is going to be so close that it will be hard to tell the difference and you can buy a Ferrari and a Porsche with the money you save.
ST:TNG is 5.1, Farscape is 5.1, Highlander is 5.1, X-Files is going to be 5.1, as will Buffy when they reach those years.

Look at an ep of Farscape on TV, then look at one of those DVDs. Farscape is a PINNACLE of DVD Mastering, FLAWLESS quality.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dick Tracy 1990

Joe vs. the Volcano 1990

Three Men and a Baby 1987

Three Men and a Little Lady 1990

Turner & Hooch 1989

David - ?
Hey, *I* don't want them all! (y'all, I am SOOOO sorry I made that "college fund" joke!) But many other HTFer's do want them. I noted the street date with plenty of titles desirable on it and remarked on it. I doubt I ever get JvtV or T&H, despite Tom Hanks' involvement (in fact, everything he did between Bachelor Party and A League of Their Own pretty much sucked, with the sole exception of Big).

Dick Tracy I might get for the kitsch factor, unless I hold off to see a special edition. The 3 Men And A... films weren't bad at all, not sure why you're ragging on them. If I can pick them up cheap, I will; especially the first one. If you're gonna rag on anything, rag on Fraternity Vacation...I've seen at least half a dozen folks around here interested in it, and I've never heard of it before. The IMDB makes it sound like typical Skinemax stuff/ripoff of Revenge of the Nerds, so I wonder what makes it stand out to the interested parties? Oh well, there's no way I can knock it, since I've never seen it. Some interesting cast members, though: Matt McCoy, Amanda Bearse, and I think John "Animal House's Dean" Vernon was listed, too.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe... I know of which you speak...

My sister's favorite Tom Hanks movie is Joe Vs. The Volcano. I can't stand it. I'm predicting that the second DVD that she gets is JvtV. OTOH, I'm all over the Simpsons, Swiss Family Robinson, and Mash! That's what's great about this time... more selection... more goodness!

Jim

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
y'all, I am SOOOO sorry I made that "college fund" joke!
Relax, David. It worked as a joke because it was so obviously not true. No one thought you meant it and anyone on this forum could relate.
...and back on topic, I will be trying to figure out how to pull together the cash for all of those Vault Disney releases for the next couple of months.
P.S. In my case, my five year old has been working at a textile mill making apparel for Kathie Lee Gifford since she was three so that I could buy a new subwoofer. ;)
Regards,

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S. In my case, my five year old has been working at a textile mill making apparel for Kathie Lee Gifford since she was three so that I could buy a new subwoofer.
:laugh: Okay, now THAT was funny! Okay, I'm relaxed now.
Thanks for putting up with me guys. I realize that sometimes I get worked up over nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks