What's new

May 3, 2013 Iron Man 3 announced (2 Viewers)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The reviews are starting to come out and they are very positive, though I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I'm not reading too many in detail. Thr vibe seems to be quite good. Anyone interested in listening to the main theme from the soundtrack can do so here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKec-R8Nxw&feature=youtube_gdata_playerI'm really digging this theme. I've liked the AC/DC stuff and all, but always hoped that Iron Man would have his own distinguished theme (like Thor and Cap got). Looks like Iron Man finally got a cool heroic theme!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The franchise has an interesting track record with the scores. Ramin Djawadi was hired when John Debney wasn't available for the first time, and went on to do a brilliant job on "Game of Thrones." John Debney was available for the second film, and did the score. And now Brian Tyler. It's hard to imagine the Chris Evans Captain America sequels without that Alan Silvestri theme from the first one. But Iron Man's always seemed more classic rock to me, and the rest just more sort of incidental.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Based on Rotten Tomatoes this morning, with a 92% out of 50+ ratings now since the screening this week, I'm thinking this could be something special. I really like the commentary that this is much more like IronMan1 over Iron Man 2, with a lot of solid humor.
Trying to keep my expectations a bit low, but this is a pretty good sign.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The reviews have been very positive. I'm tryin to avoid spoilers and clips and all that now, but I've been checking out the general reaction and it looks good. I've read multiple opinions that its as good as the first Iron Man, many have said they like it best, many have said its their favorite MCU movie yet, etc...Of course, these are all just people's opinions and everyone is different. But in general the critical response has been overwhelmingly positive, and that's a good sign. It's certainly not going to be another Iron Man 2. It seems the most negative responses I've heard have been from hard core comic geeks that don't like the way the Mandarin character was adapted. It's the kind of thing where they say the character on screen/in the movie is good, but it's a huge departure from what the character is in the comics and they can't let go. I love comic book super hero stuff and these types of films, but personally I couldn't give a toss if a villain from a comic book is handled differently in a movie if the movie is actually, you know, good. Can't wait 'til next Friday!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Disney's investment in marvel looks better with every release. A lot of people wondered about the 4B purchase when it happened.. It looks like genius now

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm ambivalent towards Iron Man 3. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. Shane Black's penchance for dark humor seemed a little out of place because it was too tame, almost like the script itself was sleep-walking through the mid-section, plus some plot points seems just dumb for Tony Stark to create for himself, but it's because the writing dictates certain scenes have to happen, so the story mechanics to get there seemed too forced and contrived. There are laughs from caustic retorts, and the armor is like a separate character at times.

It was better than Iron Man 2, though.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I apparently enjoyed this more than you, Patrick.

It's not perfect, and there are flaws, but this is a serious improvement from Iron Man 2. It seems as though Avengers helped give films like this a lot of structure and the use of the franchises helps define the world in a way that keeps it interesting and fun. The dialog is cute at moments, though at others it seems as though Shane is struggling to try and capture Wedon's quick quips, and just doesn't get it quite right. But when it does work, it works quite well.
The effects are solid and the performances are solid. The ending will be a bit of a surprise for a few people; and cute clip after the credits.

All in all, definitely worth the money at the theater and I imagine quite a few people are going to love it. It's not Avengers.. it doesn't have that kind of magic to it, but it's still fun.

Solid "B"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Did the AI change to:

P.E.P.P.E.R instead of J.A.R.V.I.S.? That change was made in the recent comics, and the print division pretty much changes to match the movies now.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I saw it in 2D last night, and enjoyed it very much. I think the humor was an important element to bring back. Overall, I'd give it a 4/5.

And Greg,

Nope, still Jarvis.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Saw it...Liked it better than 2. About even with 1.

One nitpick that bothered me and some others....

You have this huge terrorist with the Mandarin. So Tony goes to get the Mandarin at his compound with no suit or support. Then when he has to decide whether to save Pepper or Air Force 1. He wouldnt contact Shield or the other Avengers. Yes, I know its an IM movie. But, this is the problem you have when you mesh heroes together in one cinematic universe.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I liked the Shane Black influence. Since he was writing movies like this when Joss beginning to work on Roseanne, I don't think he was trying to apply Whedonisms as much as he was struggling with the PG-13 rating a bit.

But they made a good (and at the very least the most interesting to date) Marvel movie and a good Shane Black movie as well. The symbiosis isn't flawless, but the great cast and playful tone makes it work. At the end, I was smiling because they finally got some comic book into a comic book movie (with the Extremis henchmen and related sub-plots). What I mean by that is you wouldn't bat an eye at something like that in monthly 4-color pages, but on the screen it takes a larger suspension of disbelief. But it is worth it.

Funny without being too nasty or condescending (my complaint with 2), with a lot of emphasis on Tony Stark (which was GREAT) and the people around him.

I thought it was pretty surprising, for all that. Definitely recommended, especially if you want something outside the paradigm a little.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Chuck Mayer said:
I liked the Shane Black influence. Since he was writing movies like this when Joss beginning to work on Roseanne, I don't think he was trying to apply Whedonisms as much as he was struggling with the PG-13 rating a bit.

But they made a good (and at the very least the most interesting to date) Marvel movie and a good Shane Black movie as well. The symbiosis isn't flawless, but the great cast and playful tone makes it work. At the end, I was smiling because they finally got some comic book into a comic book movie (with the Extremis henchmen and related sub-plots). What I mean by that is you wouldn't bat an eye at something like that in monthly 4-color pages, but on the screen it takes a larger suspension of disbelief. But it is worth it.

Funny without being too nasty or condescending (my complaint with 2), with a lot of emphasis on Tony Stark (which was GREAT) and the people around him.

I thought it was pretty surprising, for all that. Definitely recommended, especially if you want something outside the paradigm a little.
I have to agree with you. I'll give the film a B+ as I found the humor very funny at times.

Also, when will audiences learn to stay through the credits when watching these Marvel films? By the way, the ending scene after the credits is a bit longer than past scenes in prior Marvel films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had fun with it. Downey's charisma and enjoyment of the role certainly boosts the movie. Ben Kingsley brings something nice to the movie as well. The people falling from the plane sequence was probably my favorite part but the last 30 minutes was all pretty enjoyable.

Maybe I'm a dope but I totally bought into
Pepper's apparent death. I was shocked by how needlessly cruel of a turn that would be but I totally bought it.

Robert Crawford said:
Also, when will audiences learn to stay through the credits when watching these Marvel films?
I figured I'd be the only person who stayed but was surpised when about half of the very small crowd waited.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I had fun with it. Downey's charisma and enjoyment of the role certainly boosts the movie. Ben Kingsley brings something nice to the movie as well. The people falling from the plane sequence was probably my favorite part but the last 30 minutes was all pretty enjoyable.

Maybe I'm a dope but I totally bought into
Pepper's apparent death. I was shocked by how needlessly cruel of a turn that would be but I totally bought it.

I figured I'd be the only person who stayed but was surpised when about half of the very small crowd waited.
Saw it today - I'd say 75% of the crowd stayed.

Enjoyed the post-credits bit but was disappointed
it didn't foreshadow a future film

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
When trying to sum up my thoughts on Iron Man 3, one phrase kept popping into my head..."Too much of a good thing."

As a fan of the first two films, as well as a huge Avengers fan, I enjoyed RDJ's snarky, wisecracking take on Tony Stark. When used appropriately, it brought much needed levity to all three previous films. But for Iron Man 3, it's as if the filmmakers said "OK, everybody loves wisecracking Tony Stark, so let's give then two hours straight of one-liners and "witty" dialogue. So that's what we got...a slapstick comedy masquerading as a superhero action film. For a film titled Iron Man 3, there's actually very little Iron Man. I felt like Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park when, after being disappointed in the no-show of dilophosaurus, said "Eventually you plan to have dinosaurs in your dinosaur tour. Right? Hello?" I sat there the entire time wondering if they ever planned to have Iron Man show up.

And speaking of the Iron Man armor, how is it that it took hits from Thor, one of the most powerful heroes in the marvel universe, as well as invading aliens with advanced technology yet a bunch of juiced soldiers were ripping the armor apart like papier-mâché? Absolutely ridiculous. Heck, most of the armor just blew up when Stark's home was attacked. So it can survive going through a dimensional portal into the coldness of space but a few missiles make it blow apart instantaneously? Let's hope the villain of Avengers 2 doesn't find this out!

And when
Potter appeared to die
, Tony didn't seemed to be bothered emotionally at all. Heck, get angry...shed a tear...do something. All we get is more one-liners and mugging for the camera.

Lastly, the whole Mandarin story was one of the biggest slaps in the face to those of us that grew up reading the comics.
He goes from one of the most menacing and dangerous villains in Marvel comics to a joke.
What a waste of Mr. Kingsley.

I guess I'll have to rest my hopes on Thor 2. Let's hope Marvel doesn't drop the ball on this one. With my luck Jar Jar will show up at the beginning for "comic relief."
mad.gif
I'd give it a D-.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks