What's new

May 3, 2013 Iron Man 3 announced (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, with Black directing and Downey starring, and Val Kilmer in Fu Manchu yellowface as The Mandarin, you could've consider my ticket bought just to behold that final, epic ascent into latter-day Brando-ness that he's been building towards.
But Kingsley's a fairly interesting choice, too.
Maybe he'll just be straight-up Don Logan, sent back to Earth from Hell.
"Stark! You're gonna do a job for me, you rich cunt. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES!!"

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://collider.com/kevin-feige-thor-2-iron-man-3-avengers-sequel-interview/158942/
How happy are you with Shane Black and Drew Pierce’s script for Iron Man 3?
Feige: Well I’m very pleased, and on any Iron Man movie the way the script is right now and the way the movie will be then are two different things, but we’ve been working with Shane for a year already, which is astounding to me and to him. Let’s put it this way: all of these movies and the way we make these movies and the way we lay out these movies comes from a gut instinct. A gut instinct for the way we should introduce Thor to the world, a gut instinct that we’ve gotta go period with Captain America, a gut instinct of “let’s make all these movies first then do Avengers.” The gut instinct on the next phase and phase two is to not have Iron Man 3 be a pseudo-Avengers 2 just like we didn’t want Avengers 1 to be a pseudo-Iron Man 3 and now that you’ve seen it it’s not at all that. That’s feeling like the right choice.
Iron Man 3 is a full-on Tony Stark-centric movie—and I’ll tell you because you’re a good guy—is very much inspired by the first half of Iron Man 1. Metaphorically, we’re not going back to the cave there’s nothing like that, but we’ve always said let’s get Tony back to the cave, which is he’s stripped of everything, he’s backed up against a wall, and he’s gotta use his intelligence to get out of it. He can’t call Thor, he can’t call Cap, he can’t call Nick Fury, and he can’t look for the Helicarrier in the sky.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great interview, Oscar. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that production starts on "Iron Man 3" in five weeks. It makes it feel more real and concrete, somehow.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Here is more info re shooting in China
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/disneys-marvel-co-produce-iron-man-3-china-090713761.html
[QUOTEIn a bid to tap the booming Chinese box office, Walt Disney, its Marvel Studios and Beijing-based DMG Entertainment said Monday that they are teaming up to co-produce Iron Man 3 in China.
“Our collaboration with Disney and Marvel marks a milestone in the global entertainment landscape, as this signifies the first multi-billion dollar franchise to be produced between Hollywood and China,” said Dan Mintz, CEO of DMG Entertainment, at a packed press conference at the Crowne Plaza Beijing hotel.][/QUOTE]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In other words, Disney wanted one of its major tentpoles for next year in the lucrative but difficult to penetrate Chinese market, and the easiest way to make that happen was getting the movie classified as a "domestic" film by taking on a Chinese production partner and setting a few scenes in China.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting cast choice today
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23666/guy-pearce-joins-iron-man-3-cast

Spake

Auditioning
Real Name
Spake K
Adam Lenhardt said:
Shane Black Confirms He'll be Writing Iron Man 3 as Well
Black: "Iron Man 3 will not be another 'two men in iron suits fighting each other' film. Instead, it will be more like a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villains."
I'm officially psyched. Loved the first film, enjoyed the second one considerably more than most did, and absolutely adored Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
Since I don't think much of Shane Black as a writer, the list of things giving me confidence that I'll enjoy Iron Man 3 pretty much begins and ends with Robert Downey, Jr. I'm also curious what the comment about "Iron Man fighting real world villains" means for the prospect of the Mandarin as the villain. That character doesn't exactly scream "real world' to me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be a mistake to try and continue this interconnected universe while continually swapping in new actors for the roles. Obviously, the characters will live beyond the actors playing them now. But you almost need to do it all in one go, reimagining all of the characters from the ground up. Whoever plays Tony Stark beyond RDJ, they should have a brand new Pepper, a brand new Rhodey (err...), etc.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, RDJ seems like he would be pretty hard to replace. The entire fate of the Marvel universe basically rests on how charming audiences find him.
Or else, do "Civil War" in Avengers 2. Surprise everyone, and end it with Iron Man's death, instead.
While Feige's is a fairly reasonable statement on the face of it, it does smack of the assembly-line mentality that I dislike about Marvel movies (and, for that matter, Marvel comics, which is probably where it comes from in the first place). I don't like the idea that the movies HAVE to keep coming at a regular pace.
After all, after Avengers, we're going to be basically at the crest of the excitement-wave for the Marvel Universe flicks. After that, we're going to be getting into the realm of Cloak and Dagger and Man-Thing spinoffs. Would it really be asking so much to just drop Iron Man for at least a decade or so whenever RDJ decides to retire?
This is why I'm (almost) rooting for Amazing Spider-Man to fail. If it's a big hit, we're headed for a world of non-stop reboots and the same damn franchises clogging up every summer for the rest of eternity.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
The important thing to take away from his answer is that RDJ is not going to be replaced anytime soon.
He was answering a hypothetical question, and I for one liked his answer. I am completely tired of studios retelling the origin story when they switch actors in these superhero films. If you tell a good story, we don't need a complete rehash of the first film in these superhero properties.
Besides, anyone can be replaced.
Would Iron Man be as popular without RDJ? Who knows, and it does not look like we are going to have to find out in the near future.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad it's in production, I just hope that the $60 million isn't going toward unnecessary wiz-bang. If $200 million allows Shane Black to better execute his vision, I'm all for it. If $140 million was plenty for him to execute his vision, throwing an extra $60 million at the wall seems extraneous. They could make a Black Widow or Hawkeye stand-alone movie with that $60 million.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I don't know much about the comics they reference, "boo" to the first sentence in Adam's spoiler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks