MAxtor One Touch Drives -and- a question of formatting & restoring using Norton Ghost

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    First of all, I am looking to buy this....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-364&depa=0

Anyone have one of these Maxtor drives? Care to comment
    how well these things work?

Okay next question....

I find myself often formatting my hard drive due
    to either a virus or some sort of software conflict.

When I am comfortable with everything that is installed
    on my computer....

Can I use NORTON GHOST to take an IMAGE of my hard
    drive so that the next time I have to format my computer
    all I have to do is load the image that Norton took?

Is this what Norton Ghost does? Can I format and then
    immediately upload the image of my configuration and
    have my system work exactly as it did when I took the
    image?

Would like to hear a little about how all this works.

Thanks

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    IIRC, you don't even need to format, the Ghost image will make your drive look exactly like it did when you took the image. Kind of like a snapshot.

-Christian

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Ron:

A few months ago I started getting into digital video editing, and found that there is no such thing as too much (or enough) hard drive space. I bought the 120 GB (111 GB formatted) version of the Maxtor One-Touch and have been very happy with it - but still needed more space. More recently I purchased a LeCie external 250 GB (232 formatted) at CompUSA. I have been equally happy with this drive (both were very easy to set up) and the price can't be beat. The USB 2.0 connection for both drives works fine. I haven't had a single frame drop when digitzing analog video source material to disc.

Yes, Ghost does pretty much exactly what you think it does. Typically you need to create a bootable CD as your first disc (so that the computer can start up and load the Ghost files), then Ghost will reformat your hard drive and install the image in place of whatever is there. On some older machines I've had to create floppies with CD-ROM drivers and the initial Ghost files, but that isn't necessary with newer computers. Most networks with fairly standardized hardware and software combinations will maintain a handful of Ghost images on network drive, tech's laptop or CDs, and use them to setup new PCs for different departments and what have you. Or to repair PCs that have been screwed up by spyware, adware, viruses or user error.

Where I'm currently working we have basically four standard PC models, and maybe five standard "flavors" or each other those. (One with only the common network programs, one for accounting and finance people, one for medical, etc.) We use the plain vanilla ones for the 80% of users who only need e-mail, the intranet and the standard office suite, and for those with highly specialized needs. (Like the one guy in engineering who needs to hook into a state database and has to have special software to do so.) For those we load either nothing or individual programs. For everybody else we boot off the appropriate CD (medical, for instance), reformat the hard drive as received from the manufacturer and drop our image on it.

We do the same thing when upgrading machines. We'll do a from-scratch Windows XP installation on a given model computer, test everything to make sure it is working, then image it and use that to upgrade all the PCs of the same model. Very efficient. I use Ghost at home for back-ups to CD in lieu of ordinary backup software just for its ease-of-use. The program also has lots of options that I don't use but that you might find useful, and which others will no doubt mention.

Regards,

Joe

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thanks for the replies.

I am going to order the Maxtor One Touch today.

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Another option you can consider is getting an internal hard drive and an external enclosure.
    Here is a thread with more info (where I learned about this): http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=207187

I haven't bought an external enclosure yet, though, so I'm not sure how well they work.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I love my Maxtor 200GB One-Touch! The best feature is that it powers off when not in use, AND it is whisper quiet. I have a Seagate 200GB drive that a stuck inside an ADS Tech USB2 enclosure, and its fan is LOUD, and there is no drive spindown option either.

The One Touch is expensive, but it is worth it if you want things nice and quiet. I suspect the drive will last longer too since it isn't constantly on. You made a good choice Ron. [​IMG]