Maxing out my Harmon/Kardon 12"

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ian Charters, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ian Charters

Ian Charters Auditioning

I've got a 12" harmon/kardon sub connected to an AVR125 amplifier also made by HK. I'm playing the music from my laptop-to-amp-to-sub, so I can add decibles on the amp and my laptop. Then I can turn up the Subwoofer Level on the back of the sub. How far is it safe to turn that up? How much bass can I add before I'm going to wreck my equiptment? Considering out of the $6,000 I spent on my HT, about $2300 of it was the Sound System. All together, it includes..

HK AVR125 Amp
    HK 12" Sub
    4 Large HK tower speakers
    and a HK center channel.

I'm pretty new when it comes to dealing with this type of hardware but I know what I'm doing as far as the laptop fine-tuning aspect goes. Give me your advice! [​IMG]

2. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

I would highly recommend buying an SPL meter from Radioshack ($45) and a home theater calibration disk like Avia. The disk has test tones that allow you to calibrate all the speakers to a certain reference volume level (the sub included). That way, you'll know what the appropriate volume level is for the sub so that it matches with the rest of your system. Obviously you can turn it up louder, but at least you'll know where it 'should' be set.

3. Ian Charters

Ian Charters Auditioning

Ahh thanks I'll probably do that this week then. Also, when you say where it 'should' be set.. Is that where i'll be getting the best sounding bass, or is that where its recommended I leave it?

4. Bill-T

Bill-T Extra

Once the sub level is set with the SPL meter you'll probably want to take it up a little to get the amount of bass you'll enjoy. I run mine 10db hot for TV/DVD, a little more so for music.

5. John S

John S Producer

In the end, if you hear audible distortion on it, your to loud and endangering it.

If it still sounds good, keep going!!!!!

LOL, I also must qualify this by saying, I have blown quite a few 12" subs over the years. I no longer use them. 15" or bigger for me these days. I run my subs intentionaly hard, I understand this fact though and accept it.