Maximum wattage from a plate amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lorenzo, Mar 16, 2003.

1. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

I'm putting this question here because the amp will be for a DIY sub.

In order to get the maximum power from an amp would both the gain on the preamp and the gain on the amp need to be turned all the way up? I was curious about the 1000 watt digital amp that Kyle will be stocking shortly. It is rated at 10% THD at 1200w and .1% THD at 1000w. I was wondering if it was possible to set the amp so that it never outputs more than 1000 watts so that the distortion is never high. Is this accomplished by simply not turning the gain on the amp up to high? Thanks.

2. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    With a sufficiently strong input, an amp can clip well before the knob reaches 11. Output is a function of input as well as gain. In fact, unless you have a particularly weak line level, you probably shouldn't come near to maxing out your volume dial. I would set your volume where your SPL meter and a copy of Avia tells you to, and if you need to turn the amp all the way to the top to reach that level, you may want to upgrade the amp.

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor