What's new

Maximum Security prison is opening in my peaceful town! (1 Viewer)

Dedrick

Agent
Where I live has got to be one of the most peaceful places on earth. The crime rate is extremely low (there hasn't even been a robbery in my area for like 20 years). I feel very safe and have lived here all of my life (so has my family for a long time). Well now I won't feel as safe anymore. A maximum security prison will be opening 15-20 minutes from our house. I've seen movies/tv shows and thought it would be bad to live near one, well, now it's true. Some greedy bastard sold his property and has caused (me atleast) to feel very uneasy. I am wondering if anybody else lives (or has lived) near a prison and if you have is there a reason to be afraid because of it. Thanks for the help.
------------------
Link Removed
Keep your flippers off my stache.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't live near a prison of any kind, but I can offer you these hopefully assuring words from the great George Carlin (this is an abridged version of what he said...but the basic idea gets across):
A lot of people are scared to live near prisons. What the hell is wrong with these people?! You couldn't be any more safer if you lived near a prison! If some convict busts out of jail, you think he's gonna be hanging around the neighborhood? Fuck no! He's gonna be running as far away as he can!!!
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i can't really relate to what it's like to live near one but in my opinion, i would believe that maximum security prisons are harder to break out of and if someone does break out the prison do you honestly believe they're gonna be hanging around the area? by the time the sun comes up, they're gonna be in another state. buy a home security alarm and a shotgun if you think it'll make you sleep better at night. personally, i would have no problem living near a high security prison. as an aside, my mother works at a bank right across the street from the county jail...wanna guess how many times the bank has been robbed?
kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
what a coincidence:
two kevin's think alike. i suppose that falls in line with "thirty helens agree"
kevin t
[Edited last by Kevin T on September 29, 2001 at 01:41 AM]

Dedrick

Agent
I have a security system (even though there are no robberies) I want my home theater (among other things) safe.
But suppose, for instance, I or somebody I know is the one who is killed by (insert stereotype) for a vehicle. But it is something to think about, are the prisoners going to stay around? as you guys said, no. I have enough guns to wipe the whole prison out but somehow I doubt they will be much good if I'm asleep with a shiv to my throat
laugh.gif
. The real thing I am worrying about is when they're released, are they released into the community where the prison is or are they shipped back to where they came from?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i might be mistaken but there is a work release camp about 30 minutes from where i live and when the prisoners are released, they're just let go. most of them leave immediately and go back to where they're from. i know about them because my employer often hires them as a source of cheap forced labor. oddly, one of the guys they hired once was from the same town i was from and used to rent a house from my grandfather. most people in work release are there for small time theft and drug possession / selling. i would presume that the max security setting doesn't just release prisoners but as it comes closer to their release date, they are moved to a minimal security prison and then to a work release facility. honestly, if you're seriously concerned about it, why don't you call your state department of corrections and find out how a prisoner actually moves through the prison system. i can only imagine it's stepwise from high security, to medium, to minimal as a function of the amount of time served and good behavior.
of course, you should check for yourself: http://www.cor.state.ky.us/
kevin t
ps...is this a county, state, or federal prison?

Dedrick

Agent
Thanks for your advice Kevin, I really appreciate it. To answer your question, from what I've heard, it's a federal prison.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Damn kevin, this is the second time you've beatin me to a Carlin quote!!!
biggrin.gif

"What do ya think they're gonna do? Hang around? Check real estate trends? They're fuckin gone! That's the whole point of breaking out of prison in the first place...to get the fuck as far away as you possibly can..."
NIMBY!
patriot.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Eric Scott

Second Unit
is there a reason to be afraid
I think I would be more concerned if it were only a minimum security prison!
Prisons are generally about as desirable in a neighborhood as a topless bar, but rank ahead of nuclear energy plants! For some communities they are considered an economic boon. Of course, none will be built in Greenwich, Palm Springs or West Palm Beach.
My guestimation is that there are many more "free" criminals where I live than your new prison can hold!
crazy.gif

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I used to live in a little town in Oregon (McMinnville) the next town over (sheridan) like 20 miles away had a federal prison, and it was a pretty small town, like a few thousand tops I think, and I never heard of any problems from either town, it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere, so if people escaped there isn't a lot in the hills around there. But really, how often do people escape from prison? Also I don't think they just dump ex cons out the front door, if they're transported to a federal prison I think they're transported back after they're out.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I do agree with George Carlin, but in order to get out of the area, they have to pass through something locally. I think some towns/cities have an emergency call system set up, and they would have a machine call all of the residents letting them know that someone has just escaped.
After all, if I just broke out (like 5 minutes ago), I'm going to do my best to make sure that no one will slow me down.
Glenn

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I agree with Carlin..
You know what I do to keep my HT safe?
I have a very, very dangerous minature collie..
He Bites..
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like I'm up. I've lived in a town with a max. state prison all my life. This prison has been here since I think the early 1900's. Believe me I feel safe. As many have said, when they escape they don't hang around (more on this later). Usually the only ones that escape are the trustees. These are inmates that have not been in trouble and are short timers. Now since I have lived here, 50 years, only a few have escaped. One time a guard was killed by a trustee for his car. All were captured usually far away. Several years ago three or four escaped and some were thought to still be in town. There were guards, state police, city police, sherrifs deparment, all armed about 20 feet apart all around the area they thought they might be. It was more of a strange thing to experience that being scarry. They caught them all and one was hiding in the woods. Most of the time they have family or friends waiting with a car.
This prison had a death row until recently. John Wayne Gacy was there until his death. We also have a facility for the criminally insane. Man there are some wackos in there.
I guess you get used to it after a while. When there is an escape there is no automated phone system as someone suggested. They blow what they call the wildcat siren. They test it every Saturday at noon and it is the weirdest sound. It was kind of scary when I was a kid since it is kind of like a whistle that goes up and down in pitch. You can't mistake it for anything else that's for sure.
I'd say you have more chance that you'll get killed by lightening than a con. My advice is if they are hiring, get a job there. State or Federal jobs in prisons have great benefits. Tons of days off, good pay, and if you work for 30 years or more you get medical and 75 percent pay. If I had gone to work there out of high school I'd be retired now. Just a thought.

Dedrick

Agent
Thanks Ken. I was looking for a reply from somebody who lives near a prison. My brother is thinking about getting a job there, that's not my kind of thing, but he would be a pretty good ball breaker. They are going to be hiring a lot of people which (as someone else said) helps the economy, plus, since it hasn't even opened yet, it is going to be one of the most technologically advanced around.
------------------
Link Removed
Keep your flippers off my stache.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well, I live within an hour of Marion IL (where Mike Tyson was kept) and Eddyville KY (where they do KY state executions) prisons and there's really not a lot of crime! Just my experience.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
You might want to read Newjack: Guarding Sing Sing
By Ted Conover.
I would hardly be worried about escapees. It's the concentration of bad vibes, the staff in the community that would concern me.
These jobs don't have "good days."
Jim

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've lived five mintues from a state prison all my life, one that, until last year, didn't even have walls or a barricade of any kind. For most of its existence, it was a mimimum security reform school (locally, the nickname is "Riverside Academy" - it's near the Mississippi River) for non-violent youth offenders. In recent years, they began housing more violent types and some adults too, thus the need for a fence, which everyone hates because it spoils a beautiful setting.
Over the years it's had a number of escapees. Mostly, the worst they've done is steal a car. They're always caught (I caught one once). I am told that many years ago the whole prison population, in protest of something, marched down the streets. I have no idea if this is true or not - I can't find anything or anyone to verify it.
I am also told that Bob Dylan spent some time there. A friend's father (now deseased), who worked as a counselor at the time, worked with him and has an autographed album given to him later by Dylan (which I really want, if only they would give it up).
Overall, the effect on our town is pretty benign. No one gives it much thought. But, then, it's not a maximum security facility.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 30, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Economic benefit. Is the rate of unemployment in your area at depression era levels? If not, then explain the benefit to the community of all of those high pay guard jobs.
Maximum security prison. I would assume that not too many of the inmates are there because they have to serve time for multiple speeding violations. These are hardened criminals. Where do their families live? Is it likely they will move into your quite town? Sorry to stereotype, but I doubt the fellon or the family is from the upper middle class.
The least of my concerns would be escaped fellons.
Just my thoughts.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks