What's new

Maximum screen size (1 Viewer)

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
My HT is going to be 20x13 and I was wondering what would be the maximum recommended screen size for FP. The screen will be on the 13' wall of course. Seating distance from screen will be 15'. I know for HDtv it is recommended that you set 2x the width of the screen away from the screen but I dont plan on ever getting HD. I plan on 90% dvd and 10% video games. I also only plan on living in this house another 5 years so by the time HDDVD is with in my price range I'll be in a new house. I plan on getting a DLP projector, something similar to the InFocus ScreenPlay 7205. I want maximum size while maintaining image quality.

I dont know if I will be getting that exact pj but something with very similar stats. I don't plan on getting the pj for another 6 months but since my room is so narrow the screen size could effect speaker placement which effects where I want to place the speaker wall plates.

Thanks guys

Edit: My thought was to have 2' of space on each side of the screen giving me a 9' wide screen but I didnt know if that would be too big for my short viewing distance.

Kevin R

Auditioning
My Room is 13 x 18 (basically) and I have a 100" diaganol screen with two rows of seating (14ft & 18ft), it is wonderful for movies but too much for daily watching.

So I think it depends on usage most of all. If you are really be building it as a dedicated Home Theater room for wathcing movies then 100" is great

But if you plan on watching any other TV daily it might be too much,

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
good looking theater kevin. Thanks for posting that gives me a good idea of what my HT will look like as far as size. I think I am going to have to model it out. I would like to get an avalanche 15 and put it in about 10^3 ft sono tube (tuned to arround 15-16Hz). The problem is where do I put it. If I go with a 100" screen I will have just enough room to sqeeze it in on the sides. If I could go with say a 124" screen I would have to build it into some kind of stage instead of using sonotube.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
My theater is 13'3" X 32' including a 8'4" bar area behind my third row. My first row viewing distance is about 10'4"
and my middle row (where I like to sit) is about 16'. My screen is 96"x54". I can actually sit as close as 7' without losing picture quality but of course your eyes will be tired of constantly scanning the picture. Even in the front row you have to scan image to see it all. That is why my "sweet-spot" is in the middle row, image is perfect for field of vision. I can watch for hours & hours with no fatigue.

Look at my theater is link below to see how my screen fits in my 13'3" width.

Good Luck!
David

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
David, I am quite familiar with your theater. Its in my favorites. When people come over and I tell them about my dream of building my own HT I show them your's as a refrence. Thanks for the tip about eye strain I didn't even think about that. 110-100" diagnal sounds about perfect.

Thanks guys.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I have a 110" with the 1st row of seating 15' away, IMHO it's perfect screen size. :emoji_thumbsup: I use my room 70% gaming and 30% DVD / HD viewing.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
David, BrianKR
what kind of projector do you have? Im looking at the 4805 and I here its a nice one but I understand there is a screen door effect if you are closer than 14 feet with 100"

Let me know
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks