What's new

Maximum Recommended Length for Cable Runs (Video) (1 Viewer)

wpgWiggum

Grip
Real Name
Adam
Hello,

In preperation for a new project, I was wondering what the minimum recommended length for a video cable run is (for various cables).

The 'box' that we are using to send the video has BNC output for composite,s-video and component, with a DVI-I output.

If we were to exceed the recommended max length, what type of equipment would be needed. While budget is a concern (for who isn't it), it is not a limiting factor in what is needed, as the job will need to be done irregardless.

Thank you!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
How far are you trying to run and with what signals?

If you go too far, repeater boxes may be needed, but unlikely unless you're running hundreds of feet.

wpgWiggum

Grip
Real Name
Adam
Its for inside public buildings where the waiting room and cafeteria may be several hundreds of feet.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

For all of these types of cables you can create your own from Quad sheilded coax for a pretty reasonable price. except for the dvi. A long run of a quality DVI or HDMI cable will likely run you a hundred bucks or more. how long of a run do you need?
Unless you are running a hundred feet or more a QS RG6 will perform excellent with little or no signal loss.
Search the rest of the forums, you should be able to find some direction on DIY cables from RG6.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You need to use proper professional grade coax, likely from belden or canare. At those distances, it pays to purchase the tools to make the cables (strippers and crimpers) and buy the cable bulk and make your own. You may still want to use signal boosters depending on how critical the application is and the signals involved.

wpgWiggum

Grip
Real Name
Adam
The application is for digital signage, and could easily run 1-500 feet. We are in control of the content and I doubt there will be Hi-Def resolutions involved at the beginning. But since there may be, a DVI-I run might be the smartest way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks