Maximum cable lengths

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Garrard, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Larry Garrard

Larry Garrard Auditioning

I just found this forum last night and I was very pleased with the quality of knowlegde available. To that end, I would like to find out some information on maximums of different signal lengths.

I am building a new home and am planning to wire for whole house video-audio and have a dedicated home theatre in the planning stages.

So here goes:

Signal Name ***** ***** *****Maximum cable run in Feet***** ***** *****Suggested Cable Maker if available

Component video

S-Video

Composite Video

Line level Speaker Signal

VGA or Computer Monitor Hook up

Fiber optic feed, (may depend on Maker of unit)

I believe that is all for now. Thanks for any inputs.

Larry, home on the range

2. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

I would hazzard a guess that you'd run outta money before you reached the Fibre optic limit [​IMG] As long as you had the properly skilled people, you could likely run fibre all over your house and have them install fibre jacks in the wall where appropo.
    Hope this helps..
    P.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Larry. Welcome to HTF!
    First, there is a separate fourm for "Building a Home Theater Area" that will help you with the HT room.
    Second, for whole-house wireing, a very popular trend is to pick a central location in your house and run DSS, CATV feeds to the central location.
    From this location to each room (in a "star" pattern) you will run dual RG6 coax and CAT 5 computer network cable. A company called Coast Com has a "Smart Home" bundle which is a thick, orange cable that has 2 quad-shielded RG6 coax cables and 2 Cat 5 network cables in a single bundle for about ~$0.50/ft.
    At this central location is where you will install a patch-panel for CATV/DSS coax and your computer hub or router. Then you can easily pipe things to the rest of the house from this location.
    Cable Brands: Belden is a very popular cable manufacturer. Another good name is Canare. Before you worry about lengths, keep in mind that all these companies roll out 100 feet of cable, then do frequency-response tests to allow engineers to compare/select.
    When you get to your HT room and figure out the cable runs, there are several internet sites that will custom-build interconnects for you using Canare/Belden/Grado/Mitsumi cables and high-quality connectors. (The connector for a video cable is often over-looked). Most of these have very good reputations. The cable offerings are MORE expensive than the budget Monster or AR cables, but they are much less than the high-end commercial stuff. (You are basically getting similar/better quality than what was used to Master your DVDs).
    Some websites are: www.bettercables.com, www.catcables.com, www.wickedcables.com. There are a few others, but I cannot remember them at this point. (Do a search)[​IMG]
    Hope this helps.

4. Larry Garrard

Thanks for your help. I still want to know how far you can run each of the different signals. Still looking for the answers.

Larry, still needing inputs

5. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Component video - probably 100 feet without noticeable degradation.

S-video - similar. You will have troubles with very long S-video cables.

Composite video - v.good cable, in excess of 100 feet;

Line level (interconnect) if via balanced inputs, or convertors, few hundred feet. If unbalanced, on a lousy cables - 10-30 feet.

Speaker signal - depends on what AWG; with 12 gauge 50 feet is safe; if you need more, reconsider where is your amp.

VGA/RGB for monitor - RGB or 4 coax can be custom made; you will have troubles with v.long VDA (D-15, or 3W13 cables - expensive like hell). If RGB - 100-150 feet.

Toslink - 10 ft. Yes, I know how far you can push extra long haul single mode fiber.. but Toslink ain't SM, and transceiver in consumer gear is nowhere close to carrier grade lasers... If you need digital signal, use good coax rated at 75 Ohm, with v.good quality connectors - otherwise some revceivers/processors will not sync on signal.

_zjt

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Larry,

Belden 1694a cable is rated for:

370ft 1.5gb/s HDTV

1180ft for 360mb/s component widescreen

1760 ft for 143mb/s composite NTSC

7. Larry Garrard

Zbigniew ,Thanks for your reply.

Could you be so kind also to explain your answer about the line level signal. What would make the connection unbalanced?

Also could you elaborate on the VGA for a computer monitor... Here is what I am thinking about doing: I want to run a cable from my HD Monitor in my living room and have it come up in the floor (conceled) by a Coffee Table) that I can just sit down and plug in my Laptop... Ethernet connection will also be there and then I can use the huge HD monitor to surf the webb, display digital photos or what ever I want to do. The distance have I not measured yet, but will be less than 30 feet counting up and around duct work and other such stuff.

You mention COAX, but my current monitor cable has a DB15, I guess on it, so how can I use a coax for this connection with a DB15? Maybe I am missing something....