What's new

maximizing what I have (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tom
I set up my 5.1 system a little over a year ago. I'm fairly new to home theater and think it sounds OK but I am wondering if I am maximizing what I have? I have a Yamaha RXV 367 receiver, Polk monitor 50's for my fronts, Polk cs10 center, a BIC v-1220 powered sub and Streem SR-490 for surrounds. I was thinking that my receiver is not powerful enough to get the most out of my speakers and wondered if there was an amp I could add to my current set up that would make a difference? Any other ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It's very unlikely that you need additional power for the Polks. While their 89 db efficiency isn't extremely high, it's not bad, and the Yamaha has about 80 wpc, which should be plenty. Are you in a very large room? Do you usually have the volume at or near the maximum?
If neither of those is yes, then have you calibrated the receiver? If not, it looks like that model doesn't have an auto-calibration feature. So you should set the size and crossovers, and then get a calibration CD/DVD and an SPL meter and adjust the volume levels.

Real Name
Tom
Thanks for the feedback, and no I don't have my stereo near max as I'm not looking to make it louder. I thought more power might enhance the sound coming out of the speakers. I see a lot of forums where people weren't pushing enough power to their speakers and they just weren't getting the true sound out of them, not necessarily loudness. My receiver does have a calibration option but I'm not sure I have my speaker size settings at the best levels, any feedback on how they should be set? The room size I have this set up is about 12'x18'.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha only has one crossover. Monitor 50 aren't exactly "big" anyway. You probably chose 80hz as your crossover(as that is where bass becomes non-directional).
It doesn't have YPAO.
You are probably where you have maxed out what the 367 can do. Even with an SPL meter, the EQ curve you get to work with is lackluster.
No, you can't "add" an amp to the 367 either.
You could buy an Antimode 8033 for the sub.

Real Name
Tom
Again thanks for the feedback. So without starting over from scratch would you say my best bang for the buck would be to upgrade my receiver at some point in the near future? If so what would you recommend to work with my speaker set up?

Real Name
Tom
Don't all of those brands including Yamaha have entry level and high end models? What should I look for specifically that will give me better performance from my set up?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Some form of room correction(Anthem calls theirs ARC, and they also have ARC...two different things. Anthem Auto-Room Correction and Audio Return Channel). Yamaha has YPAO, Pioneer MCACC. Denon/Marantz and Onkyo/Integra use Audyssey. HK uses their own called EZSet.
Other than that(and varying "levels" of Audyssey: 2EQ, Multi EQ, EQ32...)...you buy an AVR on the other features you need.
Like, how many, and what types of connections.
Networking
Multi-zone

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How much money do you feel comfortable spending? Are you O.K. with a factory refurbished model (with warranty)? Here's where we usually recommend buying a refurbed receiver. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html They carry Denon, Onkyo and marantz. H/K sells there refurbs on ebay where they have there own "store". The Denon 1612 and 2112, Onkyo RC-360 and NR-616 are popular choices. Marantz doesn't offer the "value" of the others but they are excellent receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks