What's new

Max screen size for a 20x13 media room (1 Viewer)

frisco

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
What would be the max (best) screen size for a 20 (long) x 13 (width) media room? What's the typical size for a media room? Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Max and best are 2 separate things. It depends on the type of display also. Projector/screen or is this a flat TV like a LCD or plasma? Source(s)? HD or SD? Seating distance from the screen?

For example, I have about a 16x24 room and I use a 103", 16x9 DIY screen with a Panasonic AE900U projector. My eyes are approximately 12 feet from the screen. I use a combination of DVD and HD sources with very little standard definition TV watching.

-Robert

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Room size doesn't matter. Screen size is based on your seating distance from screen, and resolution of your display.

frisco

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Thank you for the replies. I am thinking about project/screen. The projector resolution, I am not sure. I have about 8 thousand dollars budget for the project and speakers, so I suppose I can get a decent one. The viewing distance, I don't want to place the sofa against the back wall, so I am thinking maybe 16-18 feet (the room is 20 feet long) away from the screen.
In this setup, is 110'' screen too big? Thanks again!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Believe it or not, a 110" diagonal screen is a little too small(assuming you get either a 720p or 1080p projector). I'd get about a 120" diagonal screen. Make sure the projector is bright enough for your screen size.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have always found this viewing distance calculator to be a good source:

Viewing Distance Calculator

Plug in the numbers, then play with the screen size to get the distance for the THX suggestion of a 26 degree viewing angle.

Try to get the primary/front seat to have this angle so people in the rearward seats have a smaller angle to avoid eye-strain.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

That calculator suggests a 26 degree minimum, and a 36 degree maximum. In other words, 26 degrees for the rear, 30 or so for the front.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
My room is 12.5' X 20'. My seating is 13.5' and 19'. I have a 126" (16:9) screen and wouldn't go any smaller.

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
thanks ............

thanks for u ........................................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks