Max Payne on X Box . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I am picking this bad boy up as soon as I can. I've read the reviews on IGN.COM, and they are very favorable.

One question, though, since it seems rare that video game reviewers ever mention 5.1 sound - Is Max Payne in DD 5.1?

How good is it if it is? I've never played this on the PC, so I am dying to give it a try on the XBox.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a site or mag that rates games and includes info like whether the game has5.1, progressive scan, HD capabilitiea? Until I find such a place, I'll turn to the HTF for my answers, I guess.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well, I only played it on the PC. But I really liked the game, I though it was a really good "shooter" game with a couple of cool twists. But as BrianB mentioned, it's very short. I just made up for it by playing on the next higher level...

Andrew

4. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

5. Chris Rock

6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I can confirm that Max Payne is definitely in DD 5.1, asI have been playing it for the past week.
    The sound is, as usual for XBOX, virtually non-existent in the center channel, save for a few instances with Max talking. Otherwise it's very hard to hear dialog in DD5.1.
    The game, on the other hand, is too easy. I'm playing on the hard boiled mde and I am breezing through, already half done.
    Graphics are amazing though. Just wish it was harder and longer......hey, waitaminnit[​IMG]

7. Chris Rock

Thanks, Tino.

Can't wait till Dec 25th!!

Halo

DOA 3

Max Payne

SSX Tricky

PGR

Munch's Oddessy

Yabbadabbadoooooooo!!

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I have to say I've not even tried Hard Boiled mode on the PC. New York Minute mode sounds fun though - its basically a Quake-style speedrunning mode.

9. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Hmmm...I guess I'm a loner on this one. I found the game to be pretty disappointing. [​IMG]
    The graphics didn't do jack for me, except for a few nice bump mapped textures. The rest, I thought were nothing special.
    The sound isn't anything like Halo...guess I'm spoiled.
    And, THE most frustrating part of the whole game for me has been the fact that Max seems to have no ability to walk. He HAS to run all the time. I like more control over a character. When I'm searching an area, I hate that everytime I go to move him an inch, he has to run there. I thought analog control was supposed to end all that "full on, full off" type crap.
    Just my $0.02 worth. I didn't like the game, and I definitly go for the adult themed games than the kiddie games. That said, ICO for PS2 blew this away, imho. [​IMG]

10. Chris Rock

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Here is a major, major spoiler for Max-don't read unless you've finished the game.

I enjoyed Max once I'd finished it, but after I sat and thought about it, it lost favor. The main reason-the plot. In the 2nd act, I thought they were clearly making it appear like Max killed his family. The Valkyr induced drug dream, the fight with yourself, the second one, etc. All showed Max, dreaming, shooting his wife. His wife screams, "Max, no!" And in my head, I began to go, "Wow, this is really going curve dead in it's tracks, and I'm going to be the psycho." The end snippet they showed at the front then made sense-Max had gone crazy, and began popping people. Then slowly, as the story is being wrapped up, it seems like they completely stopped mid-track on the twist. Max's visions were apparently to show his guilt?!? Come on. To me, it just smells like they wanted a franchise, and you couldn't do that with a wife and kid murderer. The game would have been much better had it been longer, had they either cut out all the stupid dream stuff, or make it where he is the killer, and quit with The Gulf War conspiracy theory crap. But I don't know if that's a true "fair" critique. But in my mind, it would have made the game better, IMO.

12. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor