Max length of interconnect run?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Geoff C, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

I'm remodeling my house, and hope to locate my AV toys in a dedicated closet about a 15-25' total length away. The only toys out in my living room will be the front and center speakers, and tv.

Is this going to be a problem for any interconnects or speaker wire in particular? Obviously the shorter the better quality, I just don't want to exceed any max length of a certain type: s-vid, components, etc.

Thx.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have system B speakers in another room with interconnect lengths of about 75ft. Yours will be no problem.

3. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

Neil,

I guess I should clarify that I'm not concerned about the speaker cable length, but more the length of whatever Video cable I end up using to send the signal to the TV.

And now that I think about it, I guess it might be an s-video, which is what my Rotel provides for a monitor out.
    Unless of course I run component video direct from my dvd to the tv also.

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

you shouldn't have a problem as long as you use a high quality interconnect. I have done installs with 100 feet of interconnect, and done an a/b comparison and showed little to no difference in quality (now if you went and got nit picky of course there is some, just can your eyes detect it)

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Go to the custom cable sites and they will tell you exactly what model Canare or Belden coax they use. Then go the Belden or Canare web site and you will see that they report performance (frequency response) with 100' of coax. 20-50 feet for interconnects should be fine.

6. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

Thanks for all the replies. I went to a couple custom interconnect sites, and they seemed to have a max length of 30-45 feet (but I'm sure you could custom order longer).
    That makes me think that even if I went with a DVI run or composite, it will still be available in good quality cable.

Oh, one more question:
    I ran a 3" metal electrical conduit from my new a/v closet to the wall where my tv and speakers will be.

Is there going to be a problem with running component video and 3 speaker cables down the same conduit? Or will the higher quality coax be completely shielded from speaker line interference?

thx![​IMG]

7. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

you'll have more problems with the metal conduit than the cables (it's kinda been debated by a few installers and electricians I know)

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For speaker wire no Geoff, but if you're doing an in-wall run you'll want something that's CL2/3 rated to cover your ass for insurance purposes as well as building codes that might exist in your area. 14 gauge would be quite adequate but 12 and even 10 are available if that floats your boat.

A 25 foot run of S-Vid is not a problem. For component cables you can find inexpensive RG59 types that'll give you flexibility and less weight which might be useful if you're going to let them 'hang'. For DVI, the length you can get away with is fairly dependent upon what resolution you're pushing down the cable. For max resolution, DVI is only spec'd to 5 meters I believe. Running a lower resolution should allow you to extend that distance.

9. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

Chu-

My install is an underfloor, not in-wall, so I can use the standard wire. I have the conduit drop from the floor of this new speaker closet, it is strapped to the joists below, then pops back up behind the tv location, only about 12" into it. If I leave this metal conduit, fire is definitely not a problem, since I used the same type to supply a 100amp subpanel with #4 wire.

But, if metal conduit will affect the wires, or if keeping the video and speaker wires so close together will affect the sound or picture, perhaps I should tack them bare to the underside of my joists.

10. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

Chu-

My install is an underfloor, not in-wall, so I can use the standard wire. I have the conduit drop from the floor of this new speaker closet, it is strapped to the joists below, then pops back up behind the tv location, only about 12" into it. If I leave this metal conduit, fire is definitely not a problem, since I used the same type to supply a 100amp subpanel with #4 wire.

But, if metal conduit will affect the wires, or if keeping the video and speaker wires so close together will affect the sound or picture, perhaps I should tack them bare to the underside of my joists.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I wouldn't worry about the video and speaker wires being next together. For starters there's no intentional separation of them say in professional applications and further, you'll find some companies, like Belden, actually have wire packages that place both in close proximity...the Brilliance line I believe. I don't see the metal conduit as affecting matters one way or the other.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I wouldn't worry about the video and speaker wires being next together. For starters there's no intentional separation of them say in professional applications and further, you'll find some companies, like Belden, actually have wire packages that place both in close proximity...the Brilliance line I believe. I don't see the metal conduit as affecting matters one way or the other.