Max length for RCA Monitor Out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickCurtis, Jul 5, 2002.

1. RickCurtis

RickCurtis Auditioning

I can't seem to find any specs on maximum length for a Video Monitor out jack. I'm working with a H/K AVR40 and want to connect to an RCA 35" Home Theater TV. Wire feet distance is going to be about 50 feet. I have available an RCA video in jack as well as an S-Video on the TV. Only have the RCA monitor out on the H/K. I am open to almost ANY solution here...converters, drivers etc. in order to make this connection. Isn't this distance too long without some kind of "helper" device?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Rick.
    First about the cable: most good coax have their performance measured by rolling out 100 feet and shoving signals in one end and measuring the change at the other. So 50 feet is not usually a problem. Hit one of the custom web sites for a custom cable. It will save you money, and give you production-studio grade cable.
    You MIGHT have a problem if the device producing the signal has a weak output. This is not usually a problem so my advice would be to get the cable, hook it up and look at the results.
    If you seem to see a problem, places like Radio Shack sell distribution amplifiers for video & Audio and you can try one to see if it makes a difference. But dont buy it first.
    Here is a link to a thread that has a lot of cable web sites that can build you a custom cable.
    Good Luck.