max amount of RAM for a computer??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDerek, Mar 18, 2003.

1. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

I know for most this might be a really dumb question, but here it is...

Is there a limit to the amount of RAM a certain computer can handle? I forget my exact specs now, but I know i have 2 SDDR slots. One filled w/ 256 RAM, the other a stick of 126. Obviously I want to get a stick of 256 in the second slot to add more RAM, but can I add a stick of 512??

Thanks for your help

Jason

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

It depends on your motherboard. Some motherboard chipsets are unable to handle higher density RAM sticks (such as 512MB sticks). Check your motherboard / system documentation. You can also lookup your motherboard / system on Crucial.com; they're usually pretty reliable for reporting what memory upgrades your system can handle (great place to buy RAM anyway).

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Your choice of operating system is a factor too. Windows 98 can't address more than 512mb (and can't really use anything above about 256mb) but with 2000 and XP you can use upto 4gb.

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Windows 98 can and will use more than 512MB, although you have to reduce the maximum vcache size to 512MB. The real problems for Windows 98 begin at 1GB.

5. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

Thank You!

~Jason

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The maximum amount of physical memory that a 32-bit processor (386, 486, and all Pentium/Celeron models and its clones) can address is 4 gigabytes. The actual limit is dependent on your motherboard--the maximum density per module times the number of memory slots. A MB that has 2 slots that accept up to 256 MB DIMMs will allow a maximum of 512 MB. Most newer motherboards can accomodate 1 GB or more.