Mattress without boxsprings?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Jul 23, 2005.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

My wife and I are looking into buying a new mattress as well as a new bed. We like one of the platform beds at Ikea, but we're hesitant to buy a new mattress without boxsprings.

Our concern is that the mattress may not be as comfortable or may wear out more quickly if we don't use the matching boxsprings or foundation. We're planning to get either a Sealy or Stearns & Foster mattress if that makes any difference.

So, what's the verdict, will a mattress be equally as comfortable and durable on a platform bed (or a bed with lots of slats) as it would be on its matching boxsprings?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I currently have no boxspring. Current mattresses are thick enough not to need it IMO.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I've had a standard mattress on a platform bed for years with no problem. Two years ago I added a 3-inch thick memory-foam top-pad and find the combination even better than the plain mattress.

Regards,

Joe

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Boxsprings are a hoax.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No, they exist. I've seen them!

[​IMG]

Joe

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Sounds like conflict of a professional nature, I can't see a company like this suggesting not to buy their matching product for an extra fee (I bet there's no disclaimer on their box springs stating may cause bodily harm if used with another mattress as it was not designed or intended to be used with the competition's product).

The best beds are always rock hard, most soft beds kill my back.[​IMG]

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Does anyone know the naming convention for Sealy's mattresses?

I found a webpage once that detailed the Stearns & Foster naming convention. Basically, al mattresses that start with the same letter are in the same "class." (They have levels 1-10 with firm, plush, and pillowtop in each level)

I can't find any info on the naming convention for Sealy though, and I'd really like to know what it is so I could compare prices.

If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Be aware that many brands will not warrant the product unless the matching boxspring is used. Go figure huh?

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I bought a very expensive dark wood bed frame from an upscale home design store on St. Laurent St. in Montreal. It's sort of a Japanese style low-to-the-ground frame with a dark African wood backboard and extended border which wraps around the entire frame about 10 or 11 inches outward almost like a shelf. My cat uses it as a stepping stool to climb right up. [​IMG]

Anyways, this bed also doesn't work with a boxspring. It has some special wood cross beams in the middle that are specifically designed to support the mattress and serve for comfort.

It's true that some mattresses are not covered under warranty without their matching boxspring as someone mentioned, but those are the mattresses to avoid! I wanted to order a mattress from the Westin Hotels as they are easily the most comfortable that I've ever slept on but the warranty was voided without the boxspring.

I ended up going to a local mattress store and testing out a bunch of high end mattresses. This is really the only way to chose a mattress that's right for you. Another advantage, is that in store, most of the floor displays are not on boxsprings but on regular bed frames for you to test.

I have to say that I went with a very expensive mattress, mpre than I ever expected to pay... in the ~ $2,500 (CAD.) price range for a king sized and I don't regret it for a second! It is by far, the most comfortable and amazing mattress I've ever slept on in my life, its like floating on a giant cloud. I've never slept this soundly before! The only problem is, I never want to get out of bed!!

It really all depends on the mattress you chose and what you're willing to pay. Trust me that a box spring will not make the slightest difference if you buy a quality mattress and have a comfortably fitting frame support to match. I tried out about a dozen mattresses in this store ranging from about 1 - 2k and found that in the higher end (approaching the $2000 range) the variations are very distinct and are really on an individual basis. Some like a softer deeper mattress, some a little more solid, etc. Test them all out, and remember than when placed on your frame, the mattress will always feel very slightly more rigid. Keep this in mind if you are trying to chose between 2 similarly priced mattresses and one feels just a little softer.

Don't think twice about the necesseties of a boxspring. I've slept with one for the past 15 years of my life and the adjustment in switching over was nothing. It's like night and day - my new bed minus boxspring is one hundred times more comfortable than my old bed which was an extremely comfortable and quality bed itself.

Hope that helps.

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    So, Costco has mattresses for sale and there's a coupon I can use to get a queen set for about 435.00. I'm no mattress connoiseur since I've been sleeping on a twin futon for the past 10 years, but I thought I should upgrade to a big boy bed [​IMG]. Anything I should keep in mind? Anyone buy one of the Sealy Posturepedics from Costco (I believe the set is the Fenway model)?

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a bed from IKEA - Midsund to be exact (you can look at it at their website) and bought a matching Fageras Foam mattress for like $130 or so. The Midsund has the wood slats that go across the base of the bed and that, like mentioned above, provides the support rather than a box spring. IKEA has different levels of firmness and they say the Fageras is medium. I kind of find it sort of though, more firm than my old mattress but then again, this one is only like 1 month old whereas I had my previous mattress for like 35 years, so naturally, it would more likely be more firm.

You can flip the mattresses over and stuff and they even say you kind of should for foam mattresses. You can get latex rubber mattresses for the hypoallergenic and they cost a bit more. I like mine and would not go back to the regular ones, especially finding out how much they are. Yikes, never realized mattresses can be so expensive. I'm not picky, I'll sleep on a thermarest or a closed cell pad with a sleeping bag. Doesn't bother me one bit.

For those that like different firmness and can be more picky than I, I believe on King Size beds, you can actually buy two separate foam mattresses and split the bed in two, one side can be firm and the other half can be soft.

Jay

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im getting a new bed and decided to go the plaform route as well. Theres matress outlet near me that makes a Ortho-chiro matress with a 25 year warranty. A friend has one and I cant belive how comfortable is it.

I just have to get the platform bed.

http://www.platformbeds.com

15. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I'm telling you guys, get latex foam sheets and a wool topper... that's the way to go. Best bed I've ever slept in. Westin (at the W) are great for conventional mattresses, but Latex foam is niiice.

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Marco, where exactly did you buy your bed and mattress?