Matthew Lillard - a wasted talent?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

He was sooooo good in Scream and Dead Man's Curve, so why has he been limited to crap like Wing Commander and Scooby Doo? A fine comic talent IMO, thats been totally wasted of late.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I think part of the problem is that "SLC Punk" and "Love's Labour's Lost" were supposed to be his "edgy" and "arty" films between the commericial studio offerings and they were just not all that great, so they didn't set themselves apart from all of his Freddie Prinze Jr.-supporting roles. [​IMG]
    Regards,

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ruh-Row, Raggy!

4. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

I have enjoyed Lillard's work since Serial Mom but rarely does he actually get a good lead (like SLC Punk!). But hey, he has a very unusual style which will always relegate him to the "character actor" category, which is not so bad. At least that means he will still be working when pretty boys like Freddie Prinze Jr are managing a Target store somewhere and doing the occasional where-are-they shows. And he's a working actor which means he may have to do a "Wing Commander" or a "Thirteen Ghosts" (which he was pretty good in, BTW) to get the paycheck because you know the good indie parts don't pay crap.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    This kid is pretty annoying, but I don't let that cloud the fact that he is a pretty decent actor. I think that doing Shaggy is a huge risk as it is a character we all know and love. He is going to have to be amazing to pull it off.

Not to mention, it would be pretty hard to compile a list of "A" actors that have not done a dud or two in their time.

6. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

His best role so far was in SLC Punk (an underrated "American Trainspotting" IMO) in which he did a fantastic job in playing a likable punk (I actually identified with his character a lot, particular in the frustrations of what it's like to live in an ultra-conservative city, as I once did). And in the scene in which his character lost someone and was completely grief-striken, Lillard showed good range as an actor.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Irrespective of my thoughts on the overall "Scooby Doo" movie, Lillard looks like one of the few bright spots. It looks like he nailed the character, but the script may let him down.

I think he'd do well to avoid any future movies in which Freddie Prinze Jr. is signed up. They've all been bombs ("Scooby Doo" pending).

8. Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson Stunt Coordinator

If you mean 'wasted' as in 'Man, I am SOOOOO wasted' then yes, I'll agree with you.

9. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I like Lillard. He has good energy, and is never 'flat' in a role. I thought he was very good in 'SLC Punk'

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Lillard is great. Hopefully better roles will be coming his way soon.

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The true Lillard afficionado must note his star making turn as Cereal Killer in Hackers. I think his decision to give the character pig-tails and John Lennon sunglasses was a deft, brilliant statement on both gender dichotomies and idol worship.
    And I don't think that Lillard would consider his eclectic mix of motley characters 'tweakers,' 'spazzes,' or 'sputtering imbeciles.' I think a great amount of thought goes into molding a character whose physicality syncs perfectly with the comic timing necessary to make the scene work.
    My personal wish-list of future Lillard roles:
    Matthew Lillard as:
    Sidious's Sith Apprentice in Episode 3
    Vincent Van Gogh in new bio-pic
    The Prisoner in Simon West's upcoming The Prisoner
    Here's to a long and fruitful career!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -j

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Matthew Lillard has talent?

:p)

13. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Talent alone does not make a star, presence has a lot to do with it, and he has one all his own.
    That said, I think one of these days he might really supprise people with his talent. [​IMG]