What's new

Matter of life (1 Viewer)

Fred_C

Agent
I'm still looking for any information on the dvd release date of "matter of life and death" or "stairway to heaven" (David Niven)..

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fred-

Many of us are.

With Columbia's track record of crummy picture quality of classics on DVD (as of late), the only
glimmer of hope I have for the eventual release of this
title, is that, apparently, Columbia paid for an exspensive
restoration for this film.

Still, no sign of it on the horizon.

Mark

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
It appears that IMDb is in error when they say that Universal owns rights to this film (I notice that Columbia/Tristar also released the VHS version).

I, too, have my eyes peeled for this release.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just re-released in R2 by Carlton in a double-disk set with The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp; but I would also love to see Criterion get their hands on this.

---
So many films, so little time...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
From the Criterion chat in October 2001:
If this film were controlled by Universal, there might be a chance, since Criterion has had a working relationship with them. But if it's controlled by Columbia/Tristar, it makes it much less likely.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This has been discussed a few times. Here's the info that was assembled:

The film is owned by Columbia/Tristar.

The film has been restored within the last few years.

P&P hated the American title "Stairway to Heaven." Please don't call it that. :p)

When it will appear on DVD is anyone's guess.

Fred_C

Agent
Will we be having an online chat with columbia anytime soon? we can then ask them directly.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sweet! :emoji_thumbsup:

Let us all now make a pact never to refer to it by that other title ever again...Um, someone please tell Leonard Maltin that too. :laugh:

Fred_C

Agent
Must be something wrong with the way i'm searching..couldn't find my previous thread.
Thanks.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
No news yet.

But, if you have a multiregion player, it is available on a UK DVD on a double feature disc with COLONEL BLIMP, for less than the Criterion BLIMP DVD.

No extras though.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, please don't call it *that* - leave that title to Led Zeppelin. ;)

I'm a devoted Powell-Pressburger fan. A Matter of Life and Death is one of my most favourite films. This is great news.

It's still sad that the Criterion edition of The Tales of Hoffman is in limbo because of the elements. It isn't available in any country, I don't have it on VHS and it never shows up on TV anymore. It's an astonishing film. It's George Romero's (!) favourite film, so it would be great if Criterion could get him to record an introduction/commentary in addition to Scorsese's commentary.

+--------->
+--------->

Charles H

Screenwriter
A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is available from Movies Unlimited. It is from Nostalgia Family and is a fair--but "watery" in spots-- transfer. It is the American version running 4 minutes shorter than the original version release (and the Columbia tape) and there is supposedly a scene involving a nude sheperd boy that has been omitted. The dvd bears an FBI warning, thus it is not a pirate. Last I heard was that there was a rights issue. (At one point, I recall Universal owned the rights back in the 80s with the notion of remaking it as a John Travolta film!) I recall that a couple of years ago a special edition (maybe even a 2-disc) was released in England with an audio commentary by Jack Cardiff.

I strongly recommend a gorgeous transfer of Powell's GONE TO EARTH (1950)--Powell's original version of THE WILD HEART (1952) with Jennifer Jones, which was disasterously recut by David Selznick and redirected by Rouben Mamoulian. It is available NTSC all regions from koreandvds.com. Just kill the subtitles. it's essential for Powell & Pressburger completists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks