Mattel Classic Football 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher D, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Awhile back, I found out from a thread here that Mattel had re-released the old handheld "Football" game that so many children of the 70s fondly remember. As I recall, we were all waiting for the "Football 2" to be reissued, but I ran out to find the "Football" and played the heck out of it.
    The wait is over. I just picked up a re-issued Mattel "Classic Football 2" for around $12 at Target.
    "Now with Passing -- Kicking -- Backward Movement!"
    Good news: It looks almost *exactly* like the green original. (Those who do not remember may find a picture here.) The only change is the addition of an on/off switch for the sound.
    Bad news: Like the reissue of Football I, it does not use LEDs. So the whole display has a sort of red haze to it. Even worse, the sound effects have been changed. It does not play the fanfare before the kickoff (which of course I noticed immediately), and instead plays a modified version of those tones with the touchdown -- also replacing the original.
    The sound changes are a big disappointment to those who want the exact original experience -- but 2 of these for $25 helps to ease the pain. I'm finally glad to have my own Football 2 -- I never had one as a kid and kept having to borrow my friends' at campouts and stuff, where I would wear their batteries out.
    Also, in case anyone hasn't noticed, "Classic Baseball" has also been reissued for awhile and is available at Target/Wal-Mart type retailers.

2. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I saw that at Wal-Mart last Christmas. Are they coming out with the Battlestar Galactica game, too?

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

After reading the original thread a few months ago, I dug my old Football I, Football II and Basketball II out of the basement closet. I was amazed to discover that they all still worked! Those old Mattel handhelds sure were a lot of fun as a kid.

4. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Well, I'm sorry to report that the "red haze" problem is a significant detriment to the gameplay here. Whenever your player (or any other player) moves, the spot he vacated doesn't become dark -- it's just lighter colored until the display fades out. Since the flashing receiver is lighter colored, you can't tell whether it's him or just a spot that somebody else used to be in.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I thought I was the only person still playing with those games. Hard believe how far games have come in a couple decades.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

My original Football II game is in my brother's old closet at my mom's place. When I pulled it out a year ago and popped in a new 9V battery, it worked like a charm. I can still remember how excited I was when I got that thing. :b I played it non-stop from Christmas morning right up until dinner time.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've still got my original Football II somewhere. Last time I used it was about ten years ago on a long trip to Florida in the back seat (carpool to a bowl game on New Years Day) and it worked fine then.

I remember it has 4 speeds, you get the 3rd and 4th speeds by holding down a button (Kick?) while switching it on.

8. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Cool!
    Now I can finally replace the one that my brother broke on me oh so many years ago...

Anyways. this was so much more fun to play than the original. I'll be getting one.

Calvin

9. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

My wife bought me the re-release of Football I last year. I loved this game (and dominated) as a child. I was so excited to play it again, though I grew quickly frustrated because the unit was difficult to break in.

Do you guys remember the Mattel Electronics Racing game!!!????

10. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Man that brings back some memories. I remember how destroyed my hands were after playing those all the time. Might have to pick one up!

Gary