What's new

Matt Stevens - Need Help w/ Malata (1 Viewer)

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Hi Matt, hope you see this as you seem to be the expert on this player on the HTF and AVS boards :)
Wondering if you can help me track down an issue I'm having w/ my Malata. My replacement unit just came in today after my last unit was DOA.
Anyhow, it's set up and looking and sounding great now, with one HUGE exception.
In navigating around submenus of DVD titles, the sound will suddenly and continusously skip ....and not just slightly skipping, we're talking skipping like a 20 dollar discman with a 500 pound gorilla jumping up and down on it.
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

It's never the top level menu, only if i navigate further down, say to the subtitles or the audio set up menus.
Currently I've had the problem occur on:
Toy Story 1
Toy Story 2
Josie and the Pussy Cats
3/3 so far so I'm guessing this is going to be a pattern.
Ideas? couldn't seem to find any posts here or at AVS that mention this particular problem.
thanks a lot man! you da man!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Im not Matt and I really can't help you but you might want to report this problem to AVdeals. They are working with Malata on a firmware upgrade and might find this info usefull. Just a heads up.
Thanks
Kevin C. :)
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Kevin,
yup, I emailed em first. I was going to call but I discovered the problem RIGHT after they had closed for the day. :)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Which receiver do you have?
Does it skip only when you switch menus or is it random? If the former then it may be an incompatibility issue.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Eugene
It is *only* in menus.
I.e. going from the splash menu to a submenu like subtitles or setup.
The receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5280
I'm wondering if other users could tell me precisely wut Audio setup options they have their Malatas set up as.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my Malata from them today also.
What disc are you using and which menu. The 3-4 discs I tried on it seam to work fine.
On the plus side my PAL Region 2 copy of "Bound" looks Awesome throught the Malata.
-Alan

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Alan,
so far I've done
The Truman Show, main menu to audio setup menu
Josie and the Pussycats, main menu to the language menu
Toy Story, main menu to bonus material menu
Toy Story 2, main menu to audio options menu
Once I make my selection and exit the menu, it all goes back to normal, DD and DTS signals properly sent, appears to be no dropoffs, GREAT visuals..
it's just the menus which is probably even more aggravating :P

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
James, just saw this post. You wouldn't believe the amount of e-mail I am getting about the Malata from people who want to this and that and everything else.
eek.gif

As to your problem, that is a new one. You settings should be for 5.1 in the standard menu and DTS in the expert menu. Choose original/spdif for output. If you are currently set up like that, then I have no idea. It's a new problem.
What receiver do you have? Have you tried swapping cables?
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Can you force the receiver to stay in one mode?
I'd have the same problem with one of my receivers both when switching menus or when jumping from one chapter to another. The receiver would lose lock.
Forcing it into DD would solve the problem. (On the other hand, this receiver didn't support DTS at all, so DTS wasn't even an option.)
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Matt,
it's a yamaha HTR-5280, audio cable is a toslink 6 footer from AR, forget which series... the component is a Pro Series from AR, 6 feet
Going to radioshack this weekend to try switching the cable out. I'm leaning toward it not being the optical cable though since it's sending a proper dts and dd signal in the actual film.
Eugene,
good point, it does seem only to perform oddly when bouncing around menu systems, which in all likelihood have differing audio types..
hmm, what audio type are most dvd menus? DD 5.1? regular ol' dolby pro logic?
in any case, I'll try fiddling w/ the receiver tonight and have it lock to a specific audio type and see what happens then.

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see your reply until this morning. I took a few seconds to through my copy of Toy Story 2 from the Ultimate Toy Box into the player. I browsed through various menus and didn't notice any skipping.
I'll spend a bit more time with it this evening.
I'm also using the TOSlink connection however I route through a JX-S555 video switch prior to sending the signal to my Denon 3801.
-Alan

James Nguyen

Second Unit
ah..cool...
i miss living less than a mile from Fry's back when I was in CA. just moved out here a few months ago, still getting used to the weather.
how is the Houston fry's by the way?
(I'm near the med center and Rice U by the way)

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
This is starting to get a bit off topic, but to answer your questions.....
I'm originally from Louisville, KY. I moved out here two years about to go to work for "The Man" after I finished my Masters of Engineering.
So... I've never seen another Fry's to compare it to. As far as I'm concerned it beats the snot out of Best Buy (which we also didn't have in Louisville back then) and has quickly become my favorite place to buy DVD's.
As to the weather, traffic, or the huge expanse of Houston.... I doubt I will ever get used to it. I hate heat and humidity, but I'm paid pretty well and I have a lot of friends in the area so I'm sure I'll be here for at least a few more years.
-Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks