What's new

Matrix Ultimate Edition is cropped!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Yup, didn't know if anyone else has noticed this. I did a search on it and it came up nada.

The Ultimate Edition crops the sides about a quarter of an inch on each side. I did a side by side comparison. (well, on my 36 inch it's a quarter of an inch, maybe less)

I noticed it in the very beginning of the movie. That little cursor is slightly cut off in the ultimate version, the original shows the whole thing and then some.

Not sure if this has ever been picked up before, but I thought it was interesting.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Does your player have a zoom function to zoom out to see the whole frame? That's the only way to tell for sure how much is actually cut off. Overscan varies from TV to TV and that determines a lot.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Wow, does the same thing on my PC? I also noticed in the beginning that when all three agents are shown for the first time, on the ultimate, the one on the right is cut off a bit.

Crazy stuff.....I really need to get out more.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It looks like the cropping is identical to me for both version, although the first shot of Morpheus looks like it's framed differently, less on top and more on the bottom.

And why does the ultimate edition look so green compared to the original?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
While that's not up there with Greedo shooting first, that still make me glad I have the original.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Not me. The DVD transfer for the first release of The Matrix was NOT approved by the Wachowski's, nor Bill Pope. The new one is. The original release have compression issues galore! The film to video transfer is also faulty, washed out and ugly. With the new transfer all the movies match, which is probably a good thing for a trilogy.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And there were multitudes of threads asking why the color is so green...."is my disc defective?" It sure looked green then.

Don't get me started on the flares in Saving Private Ryan....

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
"Don't get me started on the flares in Saving Private Ryan...."

I don't get why some people have problems with this. It was just like that in the theaters. I know, I saw it three times. Speilberg has done it Minority Report and WotW. Just his style, I guess.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I'm baffled, those shots don't look cropped on the sides at all. I've check to see if there is a zoom on my DVD player, but it's not active. Interesting.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

I don't have a problem with the flares. I had a problem with all the people back then posting threads asking why the flares look like that and is the DVD defective. :D

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
" I had a problem with all the people back then posting threads asking why the flares look like that and is the DVD defective. "

Ah, okay. I thought you were one of "them". :D I guess none of them ever saw the movie or had their eyes closed for most of it.

EDIT: "I'm baffled, those shots don't look cropped on the sides at all."

You know...I think that page was just to show the color/contrast difference. None of them seemed to be cropped any different. Save for a teeny-weeny bit on the Morpheous pic. Maybe there are parts in the film that are cropped but I wont want a copy until I can see how bad it is.

Im still happy with the "original" dvd. It is sort of a dvd time capsule too!

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Yeah, the Matrix was the first DVD I ever purchased. It has sentimental value, but the new one does have a better look to it. Cleaner, deeper blacks, color correction. Some say that the sound was redone, I don't really notice it, but it was great to begin with.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Remember how that prompted Warner to add a pre-emptive note at the beginning of Three Kings, released shortly after, indicating that the high-contrast appearance was stylized and by design?

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
The image isn't cropped, it's just framed differently. While there's stuff missing from the right side, there's more information on the left. Look closer at the capture from Morpheo's glasses from the DVDBeaver comparision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks