What's new

Matrix SE released separately from box set? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I just have one question.... What the hell is EE? I always hear members refer to it but have never noticed it.

I read Tombstone Vista has tons of EE yet when I watch it I never see anything. I have a 42" plasma which is a good sized set.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Edge Enhancement, sometimes referred to as "halo-ing".
Not to be confused with aliasing.:)

Pop in "True Lies" or even The Phantom Menace for examples. There are some great websites on the subject with many more examples. You can probably find links with a search.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I know that EE stands for edge enhancement but I'm still not clear on what it means. What causes it or why would a studio put it there if its hated so much?

Edit: Ok, now I have a clear understanding of what EE is and now I see why everyone bitches about... especially if you have a large projector setup. I'll start looking for it from now on so I can help bitch too :D

Anyone that wants to learn about EE go here

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
I wasn't sure about buying this but these screenshots have made sure that I won't.

The new version looks completely different than the movie looked in theaters.

Why would they completely remove the unique look of the movie?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think the closest analogy would be the "sharpness" control on your TV, which enhances the solid lines around objects by adding, essentially, video noise. On small monitors, the perception of a sharper image is probably real, but on larger monitors (even 36" ones) it looks like a bunch of "outlines" or "halos", and is distressingly obvious against light backgrounds like blue skies. I'm not sure, but it may also obscure fine detail just like in overly high-contrast transfers (or those folks who crank the contrast control on their televisions).

Basically, it degrades picture quality for the purpose of making the image seem sharper on smaller monitors.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Edge Enhancement, is what I like to call "outlines." They are white "outlines" that outline parts of the picture. The reason that studios add EE is to make the DVDs look sharper on smaller (non-HD) sets.

However, since most people are upgrading to HD sets, or Front Projectors, DVDs don't need to have added EE to look sharper, because instead of making it look sharper, it looks very artificial and just plain hideous.

If you've ever seen a screen of 100+ inches, with a DVD loaded with EE, you'd see what all the complaining is about.

Some people are very sensitive to EE (like myself) and others never see it at all. It bugs the hell out of me on my 14" computer monitor. It kills my viewing experience on my 127" screen!

The original Matrix DVD has always been extremely green. So much so, that I've seen a lot of complaining over the years by people who don't know that it's supposed to be green, and think that something is wrong with their TV sets. Also, you should make sure that your TV is properly calibrated before checking to see just how green it really is.

This new upcoming version just DESTROYS the original and intended look of the film. I have no idea why the felt the need to mess with it in the first place.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Wachowskis and Bill Pope (director of photography) took part in doing the new transfer.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, question about the W bros... I keep hearing silly shots like "W bros & sisters" like one of them is getting a sex change or something. Does anyone know anything about these comments??? Just an honest question.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
One wants to be Keanu, the other Carrie Ann.:)

Just read the previous post.

As Keanu would say:

Whoah.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Funny how directors start with those greenish movies, and then change their minds later down the road.

Ridley Scott did it with Alien and now the W's with The Matrix.

Those original DVD's will be collector's items since you can bet you'll never see the original color timing on HD.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

Oh, I see - so technology back then didn't allow them to finish the movie in a way that resembled their original vision of the colour timing and NOW we're getting the REAL version, right?
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks