What's new

Matrix SE released separately from box set? (2 Viewers)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed in the upcoming release of the Matrix trilogy set that there is a new release of the first Matrix film included. Now I already own all three films and could give a damn about the extras and the anime so the box set does not appeal to me. I am wondering if WB is planning to release the first film in a 2 disc SE like the releases of Reloaded and Revolutions. I am not dropping $70-$80 on three films I already own but will be glad to pay $15-$20 to get the best film of the trilogy by far with a new transfer and a matching keepcase that corresponds with the others.

I remember talks of this being released awhile back. Any hope?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't hold my breath. If it is released separately it probably won't be for at least another year or so. Otherwise, nobody would buy the box set in the first place.

Travis W.

Second Unit
A few places are selling the box set for around 55 dollars. I wouldn't expect a seperate release right away but I think it'll happen in the future.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
They'll probably release the SE separately a few months before it comes out on HD-DVD.
furious.gif

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I would. I love the trilogy , and I'm very interested in the extras. I fully expect a single release of the first film, but they won't announce it until after the box set is released. It would hurt sales.

Take care,
Chuck

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Any news on this? the review on ign dvd shows a huge difference in these transfers, but I'm not buying the box set.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If it's released separately, it will not be done until after the set is released.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Its not so much a huge difference - as the fact that the directors went back and recolored the entire first film wo it would match more with the sequels.

The new stuff doesnt look bad - however looks too Blue. All the green of the Matrix seems to have dissapeared - but thats from IGN photos. We'll see what happens when the final product comes out.

David Ruiz

Second Unit

It sure does. The original release (I'm judging by the pictures on the IGN website) shows absolutely NO signs of edge-enhancement what-so-ever, while the NEW upcoming release (again, judging by the pictures on the IGN site) is drenched with horrible, horrible, horrible, edge-enhancement. If that is the case, I'll keep the original release, thank you very much. I certainly don't want to "upgrade" to a release that has more edge-ehnancement, than the release than I currently have.

When are studios going to learn to stop adding edge-enhancement to releases? It only ruins things!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure the EE is being added by Warner? That would be an oddity given Warners history. Warner releases have nearly Zero if any EE in them usually.

Looks like I'll be waiting a while for a seperate release.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Perhaps IGN unwittingly added the EE when they transferred the screencaps to JPG files?

David Ruiz

Second Unit

It's doubtful. I'm sure that they used the exact same process for both versions to JPG files. The EE simply does not show up on the regular edition, where as on the new edition it looks horrendous. I'll try to make a comparison photo, comparing both, side by side.

David Ruiz

Second Unit

I've taken the liberty of highlighting the important areas that show edge-ehancement. Since most people don't know what edge-ehancement is, or what it looks like, the arrows that I have added to the images will make it easier for them to locate the dreaded edge-ehancement on the new release.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
WOW, the edge-enhancement sucks even worse than the color re-correction!

That cinches it. I'm not downgrading my original Matrix DVD for this. And as for "Reloaded" (which I like much better than many of you), it won't look nearly as good as it does on HD (even cropped), and I've given "Revolutions" it's second and last viewing.

I think I'll sit tight for now, and wait for Blu-ray.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Yeah... But you study the pictures quality from zoomed screen captures in jpeg...

The look of that will be a little different in a TV screen.

David Ruiz

Second Unit

That's the only real way to tell what it'll look like on a larger screen HDTV. I myself own a 65" Widescreen HDTV, and I also own a FP with a widescreen size of 127 inches. The EE from the new version will make the DVD completely unwatchable on my FP.

Besides, the color change is just as hideous. There is absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to the new release.

Color Change + EE = No Sale!

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
What's a good way to capture still from a DVD?

The still from IGN of the original release look VERY green to me, I'll need to check at home, but I didn't think the Matrix scenes looked THAT green.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
What's funny is that one of the complaints from the W's about the original release was that it was too bright, but the new one looks brighter.

Well, if they're very technical, they may be correct. The new transfer probably has increased black levels (as most reissues do), but the contrast seems WAY higher on the new version.

Check out Smith's papers. I can only imagine how blinding the "white room"/"Welcome to the GAP" scene is going to be. It will probably blow out a lot of monitors. Especially those with factory/torch settings.

I don't remember it looking ANYTHING like that in theaters. Anything in the Matrix was greenish and muted.

Anyone else getting sick of everybody re-doing original works to look/sound like subsequent ones instead of making the subsequent works look/sound like the originals? As if the sequels didn't tarnish The Matrix enough now it's not even going to look like the same movie? If only the original release had been 2-disc, it would have been less compressed and would still likely hold up to some of today's best transfers.

p.s. It looks to me like any apparent increase in EE is just because the new coloring and contrast settings make it more obvious. I see signs of EE on the old cap too. This could all be from the screencap processing.

Speaking of great WB transfers, anyone see Smallville Season 3. Beautiful. No signs of EE and you can see the fuzz on people's ears! Amazing detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks