What's new

Matrix Reloaded Mackie Monitor and Sub! (1 Viewer)

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Ok ok, I admit that I have become a fan of Mackie's studio monitors and subwoofers and highly recommend them for home audio use due to their amazing sound reproduction. But this is truely impressive...

Apparently the new Matrix movie is being mixed on them hehe.. so when the DVD comes out I'll be pretty close to original sound with my equipment. See link for article. Very cool!

http://mackie.com/products/Users/art...cks/index.html

Anyhow its food for thought for someone that may be considering buying new speakers or subs :) Anyone else have the HR 626, 624, 824 monitors or HRS 120 or 150 subs for home use?

JamesDB

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
James,

I was checking out those Mackie Monitors (Both active and
passive in Musicians friend) they are sweet monitors! They
also carry Halfer Monitors and even Tannoy Monitors.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brett,

Yea, I like to buy stuff from them :) Always had good experiences. Right now I am thinking of getting the new Behringer ULTRA-CURVE PRO DEQ2496 to do some tweaking on my HRS120 sub's sound. Unfortunately my room is giving me some standing waves between 60 and 80Hz so I had to set my crossover at 60. Do you think that the DBX Driverack PA would be better? I like the auto RTA feature in these two devices. I hear the DBX is very flexible.

I also found this other review on the 624's and HRS120 sub for what its worth.

http://mackie.com/products/pdf/press...technology.pdf

BTW, I love all your input into the various threads on this board. You really know your stuff.

James

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I dont have the 824's but I used them to mix my cd I did a couple years back they are awesome speakers almost dont need a sub with them.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
James,

I don't have the Ultracurve or the DBX DriveRack but I do
own an Ultra Tube-Q (For sale by the way) and I have talked
to people here on the forum who use the Driverack as an
active EQ. And I have talked to people here who use the
UltraCurve also.

I think Behringer makes a great product. DBX's may be a
little higher quality. The person here on the HTF who uses
the Driverack uses it on a very high end open baffle using
Seas Excel Mid's and Seas Tweeters (I believe it's one of
Linkwitz designs) He uses TriAmplification and uses the
Driverack as an active EQ and has had nothing but good things
to say about it in his particular application.

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a mackie setup and it rocks!!!! I have 2 hr824 monitors for my fronts, hr624 monitors for my 4 surrounds, a hr626 center channel and 2 pw2200 subs. Every person who has listen to the setup is blown away (the darkside of the moon sacd wins them over every time)! I am running them all off of my anthem avm 20 and a sony ns999es dvd player. The best thing about it is I don't have to mess with speaker cable or added noise via speaker cable. I just use monster xlr cable and it sounds simply amazing!! The only setups I have heard that honestly sound better would be the revel Performa setup, the revel ultima setup and a genelec 1032a setup. I only paid about 10,000.00 for the whole setup with all cables included in that price. I would be willing to say that no other 7.1 setup for 10,000.00 could touch this setup. It does come with a few draw backs though. I tried some 850.00 nordost power cables and they made the mackies sound kick ass but it sucks buying one for each speaker!! It looks like no nordost for me:frowning:

Bolivar G
The prices are
624 429.00each
626 650.00each
824 700.00 each
hrs120 1150.00
hrs150 2000.00

Has anyone here gotten a change to hear the hrs150??? I am looking to sell my paradigm subs but I cant find any place that has an hrs150 in stock! I would like to put it up against the b15, hgs18 and the servo 15 in a race to become my new sub.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eric,

Using 824's in the front, 626 for center, and 624's for rear. Running them all off a denon 3803. Kinda funny that I don't have to use the Denon's amps right now. With this sub they sound absolutely amazing. What gets me is how I hear all the errors on the recordings, the pics on the strings, the string harmonics on a well tuned Martin, the breath of the singer. Also since I used to be in recording before going into concert sound I love to hear the old analog technology coloring the sound like for instance of the ABBA tracks :) Been wanting to move to 7.1 but right now wife and I looking at getting a new house so that's the priority.

For my needs the sub is absolutely amazing. I'm in a 17wx13x14hft room now and I still don't turn it up more than half way. I've shook pictures off the wall a few times, but for me that's not that cool. I really just prefer the level of control that the sub has and the finetuning allowed by all the buttons on the back. So far I haven't seen any SVS or Rel (mind you they are amazing subs and I love them too) with that kind of circuitry. I think the new PB2 could out woof it by a few db (although not that much given its power rating) but you have to like the ported sound. I cross my HRS120 over at 60hz since I have some standing waves right now is the 70 range that I hope to get rid of with a DBX driverack in the near future.

If you get that HRS150 I think you'll blow anything else away. I heard it outdoes 2 HRS120's!

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
JamesDB

Last night I went to my local audio store (genesis audio) and took home a revel b15. I have to say I am 100% sold on it!!!! It integrated with my mackies to make a sound that had my jaw on the floor!!!! It hits so hard and so low it shoots the speaker grill off!!!!! It hits 6db louder than the hrs150! I was so impressed that I am going to sell my hr824s and my pw2200s so I can buy it ASAP. I love 7.1 but bass like this is so much better.

I hear all the errors on the recordings
That is one of my favorite things about these speakers but some people seem prefer added warmth. Sometimes I will get a cd and listen to it on the way home and think "ohh this mix doesn't sound all that bad". Then I will listen to it at home and every little screw up is made crystal clear. Its amazing to me how a lot of high end speakers seem to mask some of these errors.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

"I was so impressed that I am going to sell my hr824s and my pw2200s so I can buy it ASAP"

If you sell your 824s what are you going to use as your mains and center?

"I was in recording also but I quit due to my love for speakers."

Also why would you quit recording because you love speakers?

Just curious. Maybe I'm not getting the post. Glad to hear you found a sub you really like :) It can take a while.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks