Matrix questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_D, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

Wonderful film IMHO. Why did neo and gang have to go in the Matrix to visit the oracle??? Do ya think she had to stay inside to look for the hopefuls??

Also, what was that silvery substance that covered Neo when he was being freed???

2. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

To answer your first question, I merely assume that wherever the oracle is outside in the real world, is much too far away for Morpheus to travel, seeing as at the beginning of the movie, he has to be at the power plant where Neo's pod was. The oracle could be pretty much anywhere in the world, so the Matrix works as an easy way to meet her. (Easy, in that they didn't think one of them would betray them and have three killed.)

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think the answer to the first is that She isn't *in* the Matrix but whereever she is, it is necessary to use the Matrix to reach her. Otherwise it is simply that she never wanted to leave. I guess she can see the Matrix in a different way so it's already a new experience for her...

For the second question I believe this is supposed to be the visual manifestation in the Matrix of what Neo's mind is going through...

4. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

how would morpheas set up meetings with the Oracle if that were the case???

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

He e-mailed her

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Nope...AOL Instant Message, or ICQ in a bind [​IMG]

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

It could also be a simple plot device. They needed to chat with the Oracle anyway, so that had to be in the movie, and they needed to get them in the matrix to set up the trap, thus, two birds, one stone...

But I also suppose the oracle may have been to old to be freed when her abilities was discovered. After all, even Neo was almost too old to be released.

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

As for the metallic covering, I think that was the representation of the Matrix's 'caretaker' program noticing that Neo's meatspace body was undergoing some sort of malfunction, and accessing his brain/program to kill him. Kind of like an antivirus program.

Similarly, the bug the agent implanted in him wasn't a physical device being inserted into his physical body; it was just a metaphor for a tracking program being attached to him. The removal was just a metaphor for a delete utility being run somewhere.

Virtual Reality/Cyberspace iconography can get pretty wierd.

9. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

The Matrix is full of transitions where people or the camera goes "through" the electronic universe and comes out on the other side.

Examples of this are in the very beginning, when we see the phone trace operating, and we come out through a policeman's flashlight . Another example is when Trinity leaves the Matrix before the agents can run over her with the dump truck, and we go into the busted-up phone from the phone booth -- the little holes in the handset -- and we come out through the screen of Neo's computer.

When Neo is interrogated by the agents, we look at a bank of surveillance monitors, and close in on the screen showing Neo's interrogation room, until at some point we realize that we are no longer looking at the surveillance monitor, but we have passed through the screen into Neo's room.

When Morpheus is introducing Neo to the true history of the world, we pass from the 1960's TV into an image of "the world as it exists today." Then we pass from the image of an infant being immersed in "the liquefied dead", through the TV screen, back to the white room where Morpheus is explaining what has happened.

There is a point to all this camera trickery. When scenes take place in the "real world" -- the world of the Nebuchadnezzar -- the Wachowski brothers always use either fade ins and outs (a LOT of fade in/fade outs), or else normal cuts from one camera shot to another. They use their camera-work to illustrate the "trickery" and the interconnectedness of the Matrix. Similarly, there is no mirror imagery in the "real world".

When the silvery stuff comes off the mirror and spreads up Neo's arm until it makes its way down his throat and (we presume) consumes his entire body, it's a play on the Alice in Wonderland theme. Neo is going "Through the Looking-Glass". He enters the looking glass (or 'mirror') inside the Matrix, and he comes out on the other end. In one of the powerplants that the computers use to suck energy/electricity out of humans. Just before that, however, there is an event that causes him to touch the mirror, thus

initiating his entrance into the mirror world. This event is the moment when he sees the fragmented pieces of the cracked mirror coalesce, and his fragmented image becomes a whole person.

Mirror imagery can be seen throughout the Matrix. It's a theme woven into the story, showing how the Matrix vs. the Real World is largely a difference in perspective. Morpheus' sunglasses are a good example, perhaps the most common use of the mirror-image. We see the reflections of the blue and the red pills in his glasses as he holds them out to Neo. We see Neo's face reflected as Morpheus introduces Neo to the construct. We see Neo reflected again when he goes through the jump program and the agent training program.

We also see Neo reflected in Agent Smith's glasses during his interrogation. We see Neo and the agents reflected in the rear view mirror of Trinity's motorcycle when they take him away from the Metacortex building.

And by the way, I already know that I watch the Matrix way too much.

10. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

11. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Boy, and here I always thought it was just cool visuals.

With the Oracle, maybe her power only works in the Matrix.