What's new

"Matrix" multi-platform a/v specs and info? (1 Viewer)

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info, I've updated the top with Brian's info. He seems to know what he's talking about, and other's are vouching for it. The Xbox version seems to win out for this battle. I'll have to wait for the price drop on the console.

As for the game, I'm picking it up primarily for the "Matrix" plot. It's suppose to weave in and out of the Reloaded plot, and I don't think the story will disappoint.

3 movies, 1 videogame, 9 Animatrix shorts - and all of them actually matter; not just crappy spinoffs.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
What a friggin idiot move by the developers of the sony version. MAN, I sure would have liked to been privy to the idiots that decided to nix 16:9 and 5.1 support for the ps2. Both are quite possible as evidenced by games that I already own. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I really did not want to get a xbox. However, lately it seems that the xbox is just getting to many perks when it comes to multi-paltform games. Let's get real here; 1080i, 5.1 and 16:9 in a friggin MATRIX videogame!!!!! And sony developers let that slip through their fingers. I just may have to buy an xbox now. :frowning:

I'm pissed.

gammite

Ike

Screenwriter
I just pre-ordered. Should be interesting.

Anyway, the screenshots look bad (graphically), but the movies on IGN are really purty. Are the shots just from early in the build?

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Diallo,

I understand your anger. I try to stay as objective as possible, but let's face it - the PS2 has sold so many consoles that from a developer's standpoint, those extra features aren't going to matter; they'll still sell a ton of copies, with or without the improvements

As for the Xbox, I'm not a Xbox "sux" guy, I've just always never been able to justify the price for the few software titles that I'm interested in (FPS's is still a PC thing for me)

And then sadly, their's the Gamecube which I must always defend. Top notch quality games and great graphics at a reasonable price. I know it's geared towards younger crowds, but a good game is a good game. With the promotion, it's 50 bucks now goddamnit, they're practically trying to give it away! ($150+Zelda+Metroid or game of your choice)

I'm getting off the topic now (one which I started:D), but if I don't get a good upcoming deal on the Xbox, then the GC version is for me.

P.S. On a technical note, I believe that prog. scan (480P) is software implemented on the PS2, vs. native hardware support on the GC and XBox, making it alot harder to do.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
6 discs was accurate 2 weeks ago. Changes in the codec we're using for the full motion video dropped us to 4 discs. No, the quality hasn't dropped as a result.
Ah great to hear. Pertinent info for me as I plan on picking up the PC version.

Though Brian, your killing me here! With the Xbox version going 1080i/720p you guys may get another purchase out of me yet:).

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
If it's widescreen and 5.1 it will be [good].
Big, loud shit is still shitty.

Actually, I do think this will be a good game, as the Wachowski brothers (well known as gamers) were such a deep part of its development. But the hardware perks of the Xbox will never transcend bad gameplay.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I can't understand why the Gamecube version is only 4:3. I have Eternal Darkness for the GC, which is 16:9, although a poor implementation of 16:9 - the cutscenes are all window and letterboxed, but the gameplay itself is 16:9.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Why buy both?
I enjoy the high resolution graphics of my PC titles and the ability to apply multiple levels of anistropic filtering and anti-aliasing to get the most pleasing picture possible. It appeals to my graphics whore side so at there are times I enjoy sitting at my computer and taking in those kind of visuals.

At the same time there are times when I enjoy sitting at my couch on my HDTV and holding a good solid console controller with a nice big screen picture. With just 480p I would have been content to remain with just the PC version however with the addition of 720p/1080i support it sweetens the deal quite a bit. Enough to make me want to play through and add the Xbox version to my collection.

Also since I am in the process of getting a new gaming website up and running, the need for an Enter the Matrix review is pretty obvious. I need to work on getting reviews done for multiple platforms and my plan was to purchase only the PC version, rent and play through at least one other version and let some of the other reviewers handle the PS2 and GC port. Again with the 16:9 and 1080i support I figure why not pick up the Xbox version.

One day when we get our site off the ground and hopefully have the ability to receive prerelease titles for reviews things will no doubt be much easier. Until then its a matter of winging it and busting my hump buying and playing what I can acquire;).

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
BWiklem, is 1080i support just in-game & cut-scenes, or can we expect the extra video footage to be 1080i as well?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
The entire game (game, cut scenes including FMV) is in whatever resolution you choose. So yes, the FMV will be played in 1080i if you choose.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Perhaps this is old news but I remember reading that the Xbox version was too have exculisive features. Ones they were pointing out then were actors voicing the roles, special cut scenes, etc. Whatever happened this idea? It was one of the reasons I bought an Xbox.
Thanks

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Too bad the GC version doesn't have 16:9. I may not have a fancy 16:9 TV to use it on (yet) but I would still go use it in 16:9 if it wasn't just cropped. More and more it looks like I will be picking up an xbox to go with our GC and PS2 eventually for the couple of games I have a lot of interest in. At this rate I will never be able to afford my 42" Plasma. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks