What's new

"Matrix" multi-platform a/v specs and info? (1 Viewer)

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have info on the upcoming specs on the "Enter the Matrix" game? Passing judgement on the game itself (look at other threads for that), I'm trying to determine which version is most ideal. 4:3 or 16:9, 480p/720p, DD PL II/5.1? If you own all the consoles (and a PC, obviously) which version are you buying? Here are my logical guesses, but it would be great find out the official info:

Platform / Aspect / Video / Audio

PC 4:3 / multi-res / 2.0 EAX
- Of course this version will provide the highest resolution (4-disc,4.7gb install!), but I don't forsee any 16:9 custom res-mode. Hope I'm wrong. EAX audio will be supported

Gamecube 4:3 / 480P / Dolby PLII
- This one should be most obvious, since even the biggest titles on the GC are 4:3. 480P seems logical, since it will be spread across 2 discs, but hopefully DPLII will be available

Playstation 2 4:3 / 480i / Dolby PLII
- I'm most uncertain about this release, even though I've read that they've spent the longest time on it tweaking the graphics engine. 16:9 would be great, but it may be a "cropped" 16:9 (a la GTA). 480P would be glorious, but I don't forsee DD5.1 - maybe in just the cutscenes. DTS 5/4.1 would be really cool, but too bad DTS isn't catching on in the gaming world
*update* 4:3/480i/DPLII looks to be the result

Xbox 16:9 / 480P,720P,1080i / DD5.1
- This version seems to have the most potential, though I don't have an Xbox (yet). 16:9 seems likely, and may be the only version that offers it. Screenshots can't be trusted, but 720P would be the biggest selling point for this version. Also, this may the only version with DD5.1
*update* 1080i has been added

Other Notable Info Affecting The Different Platforms

PC - At 4 Discs and a 4.7 GB install, this alone may turn off alot of buyers. No idea on what the other PC requirements are.

Gamecube - The Wachowski brothers do not own a Gamecube, but they do own a PS2 and an Xbox. Interpret that how you want, but I just can't seem to find any specific info at all on the GC version, everybody just seems to be previewing the PS2 and Xbox versions.

Playstation 2 - EGM confirmed that in the PS2 version, you will be able to hack into your console. The game's cheat system looks like an old school DOS interface, and with certain commands, a Shiny rep was able to eject the disc tray and vibrate the controller. No idea if the other's will get it.

Xbox - Hacking this console seems redundant:D, but a keyboard adapter was just released by Microsoft (primarily for online gaming). There's nothing much else to say, I just hope for 16:9/720P.

Thanks for reading, I hope this may help in your decision, based on whatever HT hardware you may have. I'd like to find out more about the GC version, cause I'm hoping it's 480P will be better than the PS2 graphics, which may only turn out to be 480i, with all of PS2's pretty aliasing (just kidding, I do really love my PS2). 16:9 enhancement would be great on any version, since it would help to look so much better on any HDTV or TV with a 16:9 "squeeze" capability. Otherwise, the Xbox may have the exclusive on the 720P/DD5.1 specs that us HT lovers like so much. Anyways, I'll be glad to update this with Official info if people post confirmed specs.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
that keyboard adapter is only for use with PSO. no other games will support it

capt

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
PSO only, huh. I guess eventually some other future games would take advantage of text input, but perhaps not the Matrix. Thanks for the response.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If one console has 16:9, most likely the other ones will also have 16:9. Also, lately 720p seems to be getting flaunted in previews when a game supports it. There have been a lot of previews for this game, but I don't remember anyone making a point of mentioning anything higher than 480p.

-Dave

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Specs are as follows:
  • PC: 4 discs, EAX audio supported, multi-res. Pentium 3 800MHz, Geforce2 or Radeon 8500 or equivalent,128MB RAM required.
  • PS-2: 4:3, Dolby Pro-Logic 2
  • Gamecube: 4:3, 480p, Dolby Pro-Logic 2
  • X-Box: 16:9. Dolby 5.1, 480p/720p/1080i

Hacking is available on all platforms.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
That's really weird. Why was it decided to have 16:9 on one console, but not the other two?

-Dave

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian,

Are those specs official? If they are, too bad about the PS2 version. The most popular console, but only 480i and no DD5.1 - disappointing. I may pick up the GC version then.

Dave F,
I agree with the 16:9 comment, but it may be a "cropped" enhancement since it's mainly 3rd person - we'll have to wait and see.

720p and 1080i though, that's rare - isn't Dragon's Lair the only current 1080i title for the Xbox?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Are those specs official? If they are, too bad about the PS2 version. The most popular console, but only 480i and no DD5.1 - disappointing. I may pick up the GC version then.
They are official.

Some issues with 480p on PS-2 and not enough time to address them, hence the lack of support.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
There seems to be some contradictory info regarding the number of discs the console versions will ship on. Most sources (including the EGM article) say the Cube version will be two discs and the PS2 and Xbox versions will be just one, but IGN quoted an Infogrames rep as saying all the console versions would ship on two discs. Although that doesn't really make much sense (if it can fit on two GC discs I don't see why it couldn't fit on one DVD).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Seems to me that the Xbox version is the slam dunk. Is this game really supporting 720p and 1080i?? I haven't seen a single review or report other than this thread right here.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Gentleman, trust Brian. He knows what he is talking about;).

PS Brian, thank you for clearing up the confusion on the 6 disc/4 disc PC release. The 6 disc had been rumored for awhile and I was waiting for a clear answer on how many discs it would in fact be shipping with.

Ike

Screenwriter
Woah, if the X-Box is 1080i, this maybe something I buy just for that feature. I've not seen true HD running on my set, so this would be of interest.

But, as Peter A asked, is the game supposed to be good?

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Go ahead and post your SOURCE for that information. I haven't heard or seen any of those specs. I even did a google search. So I am inclined to not believe you. This is the greatest source of rumors here on this discussion board afterall.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Go ahead and post your SOURCE for that information. I haven't heard or seen any of those specs. I even did a google search. So I am inclined to not believe you. This is the greatest source of rumors here on this discussion board afterall.
Keith, I can personally vouch that Brian W. definitely knows what he's talking about. He's definitely not spreading rumours.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
While I can't say that I know a whole lot about this game, I can tell you from an inside source at Infogrames that this game is very good. My friend says that everyone around the office, having tested/played Enter the Matrix, all love it and cherish all of the things they get from the Matrix franchise, memorobilia, toys, etc. My friend says he would buy any console just for this game.

This is one of my best friends of a handful of years now so I trust and value his judgement. So therefore I am buying this one for sure!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
PS Brian, thank you for clearing up the confusion on the 6 disc/4 disc PC release. The 6 disc had been rumored for awhile and I was waiting for a clear answer on how many discs it would in fact be shipping with
6 discs was accurate 2 weeks ago. Changes in the codec we're using for the full motion video dropped us to 4 discs. No, the quality hasn't dropped as a result.

The game is on 1 disc for PS-2/X-Box, and 2 for Gamecube. They all have the same content.

Ike

Screenwriter
So I can be relatively sure this game will be good? The graphics look really sharp, and I'm one of the few that looks foward to movie games. But, I've been let down a lot.

But that 1080i is calling me...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The Making Of preview looked pretty bad IMO, but I don't think I could pass up 720p and 1080i. I'm too much of a graphics sl*t to pass that up.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks