What's new

Matrix Megaset - First details from R2 retailer (1 Viewer)

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

It confused me that there was so little of them in Reloaded. They were being pimped as the greatest new characters created, and they had, like 3 scenes. I was disappointed, because I thought they looked cool.

Surely some of the extra hour of Reloaded can have some more of them.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I can actually appreciate that reasoning behind not doing a commentary. It's clear they wanted the films to be different things to different people...not what they are to the Wachowski brothers.

Still, a little disappointing. That said, I'll listen to the commentaries they do include. I am pretty excited for the set. I do believe it's one of the greatest trilogies of all time, and certainly the most ambitious of them all.

Can't wait to hear the news,
Chuck

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

As long as you are already signing up for the Integral Naked website, be sure to check out the "Road Journals videos" of musician Stuart Davis (which are also part of the Integral Naked subscription area). There's also a duet with him and the lead singer of the band Live, if anyone likes them.

My opinion on the lack of commentary is that the W's are full of themselves. If I could speak to them, I'd say "It's just a series of movies, for heaven's sake. It doesn't need to be a state secret what sybolism you intended. The idea that you'll have two philosophers wax-on about the films, maybe getting some of it right and some of it wrong, and some of it wildly wrong, may be entertaining FOR YOU (since you'll be laughing when they get it wrong), but it doesn't do your film any favors when historians try to understand what it said about the early 21st century."

They've said they're worried their words would be taken as gospel. I doubt it. Viewers can and do disagree with the director's intended meanings, just look at the whole "Is Deckard a Replicant" debate for Blade Runner. The director's opinions are weighed more heavily than others, but they don't become gospel.

The only way this could work is if the W's told Wilber and the other dude exactly what they intended, before letting them loose. Anyone know if they did that?

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio

Alright. One of my fanboy friends said all the extra footage added to Reloaded was just going to be the movie segments from the Enter the Matrix game.

That can't be possible...

...can it?

Andrew

Travis W.

Second Unit
Actually the hour of footage is all from the game. There was exactly 55 minutes of new footage shot for Enter the Matrix and the early press report from the UK specifically stated that it was all video game footage. An early interview with Joel Silver stated that the footage was going to be available through the Follow the White Rabbit option as with the first film. I really hope they do the White Rabbit choice because the Enter the Matrix footage is REALLY dry and clearly forced in some spots.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
But as said before, alot of that footage is just replayed stuff from each characters perspective. I don't see how they could use it all and keep even a decent pacing.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
especially since the video game had no action pieces. (the action was played out by the gameplayer). it'll be like all build up and no payoff.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Guess I was wrong and the bif announcement is tomorrow. Personally I can't wait. I just hope my personal wish that the extra footage is of the Twins and Persephone. Plus the release date being in Oct although I think chances are this is a Xmas release.

Kyle R

Grip

There was a tiny bit of action, where the black guy (I know, not very helpful, but I can't remember his name) from the sewer meeting near the beginning of Reloaded fights Seraph.. the whole "You don't know somebody until you fight them" deal.. it's actually very well choreographed, and has a bit of wire-fu thrown in.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
THe more I hear about this extended edition the more I pray that Seamless branching is used. Which in my opinion, is the number 1 under used feature.

KyleG

Stunt Coordinator
The least the Wachowskis could do is provide a commentary. These guys are NOT the Mick Jaggers of the directing community...or perhaps Prince would be a more logical comparison...in either case, their poo stinks, just like the rest of us. The very fact that they refuse to have INVOLVEMENT in the furtherance of these films is insulting, and frankly, it pisses me off. The lack of a desire to do a commentary, ala Spielberg-o, I can respect, but I will never understand. As someone who does and will continue to make films, hopefully in a larger arena than film school someday, I feel that the only thing more narcissistic than doing a commentary for your own film is NOT doing a commentary for your own film. I mean, what says "I love m'self" better than saying "Yeah, my films speak for themselves and if you don't get it, then I ain't gonna waste an entire two hours of my time explaining it for you. Figure it out yourself. I got better stuff to do." Come off it. That's why I love guys like David Fincher and Peter Jackson and, heck, even George Lucas. These guys are excited about their movies, and want to tell you about it. It's not because they have this desire to feed OUR needs...oh, no. It's because they just want to talk about the experience of creating their films. Fincher isn't exactly Mr. Social Butterfly...but he is proud of his movies. And we benefit for that in the form of outstanding DVDs.

I feel like I'm not really articulating my point here, but...Larry, Andy: get over yourselves, get over the nonexistent Wachowski Myth, and give us some proof that you two aren't just figureheads for the dudes who really directed and wrote the Matrix Trilogy. For all I know, Joel Silver could have directed it. Or McG. Or Keanu Reaves. There's a concept. How do we know the Brothers Wachowski had any real involvement? Oh, sure, they're in all the EKG Matrix Specials, but we all know that you can put your own spin on things with Final Cut or Avid. I'm getting off track.

This set had better be worth my $$$. And, yes, seamless branching for Reloaded. Enter the Matrix sucked, and all that footage was so boring. I mean, Jada Pinkett-Smith was grating enough in her brief screentime in the theatrical cut...now imagine nigh on an hour more of her poor acting and you get the idea of what we're getting with this extended cut. Ugh...why even waste my time with this? Reloaded was an excellent movie, in my opinion, and Revolutions was a severe let down. This boxset, I will buy it despite myself. Sigh...

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
These guys (Andy & Larry) honestly don't owe anyone anything do they?

I mean what if they decided to do a commentary and it turned to be as boring as Tim Burton's 'Sleepy Hollow' track. Or a simple love-fest. What's the point? The only people who should do a commentary are those who are excited about doing one - otherwise, they're simply wasting our time.

It's my guess that the mega box-set isn't the Wachowskis' idea, rather the honchos at WB (or Mr Silver) trying to milk as much out of the franchise before it fades from everyone's memories (sign me up for a copy, BTW).

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I think they are fully with the DVD release. They even got some people they wanted to do a commentary track for each movie. Plus, the way I see it, they oversee everything that has ever been done with the Matrix. Commentary or not, I'm hoping that the next two revisited docs are as good as the first one.

KellyReeVo

Auditioning
Ouch - another pain in my pocketbook. I've been holding myself on a tight leash with regards to this movie trilogy. I knew that I could count on the the Brothers Wy to give me something to make it worth my wait. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kami

Screenwriter
Glad to see the video game footage incorporated into the film (if that's what it is) as the footage in the game is compressed pretty horribly - almost to the point of being unwatchable on my 50" HDTV.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Good point Kami, I always wondered why? They are going to such great lengths and costs only to give it a pour transfer? My only guess is that that's all the Gamcube could handle. Look at most games though and they all cheap out on the dvd stuff cept Final Fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks