What's new

Mating a Blu-Ray w/ HDMI to DLP TV with no HDMI input (1 Viewer)

basildean52

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean B. Smith
Looking for advice on the above situation. 10yr old DLP works fine( except for burning out lamps). Have spent hours researching on line. The BDP-BX59 has the HDMI and a composite Video output. Optical audio output. The latter works fine with my Panasonic receiver. I assume composite video will be analog. Question: If I run the HDMI into a Kanex ATV Pro converter and then A VGA cable from there into the PC (15 pin) input of the DLP will it work, and will it be 720P digital? Is it worth the extra expense of the converter and VGA cable? Thanks for any help.

basildean52

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean B. Smith
The DLP does have a DVI input jack, but how do I get HDMI to DVI? Is there a converting cable? Many thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI - audio = DVI. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102&p_id=2218&seq=1&format=2 (available in multiple lengths)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And if you'd rather pay less... http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-Gold-18-1-DVI-D-Male-to-HDMI-Male-Cable-for-HDTV-Full-HD-TV-6-FT-/290859404701?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43b8924d9d

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or if you'd rather buy it from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360969470&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+dvi

basildean52

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean B. Smith
I see there are HDMI to DVI cables. Over at Amazon there is discussion about the DVI plug having either 24 or 18 pins. I'm guessing that the missing 6 pins on the 18 pinner are for audio, which is not supported by DVI. Correct? Comments? Thanks again for the help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI to DVI is only necessary with an 18 pin. The fact HDMI-DVI cables exist with 24 pin is utter stupidity. The "other" 6 pins are for analog WXGA and UXGA(I think??? Been a couple years since it even mattered) which HDMI doesn't support the two resolutions anyway. I think the reason a 24 pin HDMI-DVI even exists is just from the cable manufacturer finding 24 pin connectors instead of 18. Basically, DVI "was" (for home theater DVI is dead, computer networking...it hasn't exactly died...but it its heart beat goes on with a pacemaker) the only cable that supported analog and digital video. Every other cable is analog or digital.

basildean52

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean B. Smith
I've ordered an HDMI to DVI cable from Amazon and will do the hookup when it arrives. Again, Sam Chandler, I very much appreciate you're helping a newbie with a problem. I'll post if all goes well. Ain't the internet great!:)

basildean52

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean B. Smith
Came back to Forum to report that HDMI to DVI cable worked just fine; optical audio also works well into audio receiver. Thanks again to Sam Chandler :) . Basildean52

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks