What's new

Matilda Postponed, Annie's SRP reduced by $5 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not affiliated with the Movie DVD sites, so I'm surprised that I'm the one passing this info on to you guys. But I don't see anyone else having posted it.

It was either last night or the night before, though, that Columbia sent a note around to folk with access to their password-protected press/retailer system.

The note explained - and I don't have it in front of me, so I can't quote it exactly - that Matilda has been postponed, with a new release date TBD.

It also commented that the SRP for Annie was reduced from $24.95 to $19.95.

I'm sorry that I'm not quoting exactly, but I wanted to pass this on before I forgot to or didn't have time to. I know a lot of us are keeping an eye on these two DVDs since they are not OAR. No motivation for the changes were given, so there's no way to know if the feedback has had any impact. I certainly hope so, though.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I just spoke to Anthony Herron in their home-video dept. who confirmed with their marketing division that the decision was firm that both these SE titles would be available in Pan-Scan only as "the mass market for these 2 particular DVDs are children".

I'm in the process of waiting to hear back from him as to who we can contact to voice our concerns.

-dave

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i thought it was the adults who had more problems with widescreen, not the children.

chitty chitty bang bang is being released in 235 (and, ok i'll say it, P&S) is it not ? this would be categorised as a childrens film right ? and yet, widescreen. MGM know there' a market for widescreen with these types of film. and quite wisely too. columbia on the other hand ...

come to think of it, there are many "childrens" films on the market that are available in widescreen. are columbia really that hard up that they can't offer both versions to appease everyone ? i guess that must be the case.

it's absolutely incomprehensible that any film (certainly of the statue of annie) is being presented in bloody P&S only. especially in this day and age. the same goes for maltida. it's not quite on the same scale, but still ...

and why do "some" studios still think that those that want widescreen are in a very, very tiny minority. they're NOT !!!!! look at your sales figures !!!!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well, since it's been delayed, that gives us more time to let them know our concerns. It also means that the discs probably have not been pressed yet. The way I see it, they could put both versions on the dvd since the extra's they announced wouldn't take up *that* much room.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just spoke to Anthony Herron in their home-video dept. who confirmed with their marketing division that the decision was firm that both these SE titles would be available in Pan-Scan only as "the mass market for these 2 particular DVDs are children".
Well that's funny, I enjoyed "Matilda" and I'm 27 years old.

I wonder if Columbia ever took notice of the "Willy Wonka" debacle a few years ago? A "children's movie" that many adults love was originally announced FF only then *adults* let WB know how they felt and we got an OAR version shortly after.

Hmm, Columbia has also released films such as "The Principal" FF only too (you know, the one with Jim Belushi as the principal of a crime infested high school?) What was the reasoning for that being FF only? It sure as hell wasn't a kiddie film.

Shame...it's 2003 and some studios *still* don't have a clue.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The entire marketing division needs to be sacked poste haste. Any pan-and-scan version of a Panavision film should have an MSRP of $0.00

"the mass market for these 2 particular DVDs are children".
That explains the pathetic extras.

But that didn't stop them from releasing the first DVD of Annie in 16x9 widescreen.

It also didn't stop them from releasing a Superbit of "Hook."

It didn't stop Disney, perhaps the studio most closely associated with "children's films," from releasing widescreen (16x9) versions of:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Absent-Minded Professor
The Apple Dumpling Gang
Beauty and the Beast
Bedknobs & Broomsticks
Escape to Witch Mountain
The Great Mouse Detective
The Lion King
The Love Bug
Old Yeller
Oliver and Company
The Parent Trap (1961 version)
Pete's Dragon
Pollyanna
The Rescuers
Return from Witch Mountain
Sleeping Beauty
Swiss Family Robinson
Tron
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

with a 2-disc special edition of "Mary Poppins" in 16x9 scheduled for next year.

It didn't stop MGM from their 16x9 special edition of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

It didn't stop Fox from releasing a 16x9 2-disc set of The Sound of Music.

It didn't stop Universal from their recent 16x9 remaster of Babe.

So what's stopping Columbia from doing right by these titles, other than short-sightedness?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Strong sales for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang SE might get their attention.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Had a dissapointing conversation with some "contact" that had been suggested to me at Columbia. When I called him to discuss he said "I already told you it was marketing's decision". Like "duh?", was that ever even in doubt?!? :rolleyes

He then said "why don't you find something else in life to worry about?"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the final insult. It's really pathetic when the folks in charge just view the product of their labor as vapid "widgets" while the consumers are the ones who actually care.

This contact told me he'd get back to me with some "real" contact information for who we could call/write to to express our concerns but I highly doubt it will happen.

If I don't hear from him over the next few days it's time to get the address for the President of CTS home-video and have everyone write a snail-mail letter explaining to him the realities of the consumer market for their films to help enlighten the marketing staff's perspective.

-dave

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It's become increasingly clear that with relatively few exceptions, CTS doesn't give a rat's ass about quality. Even their highly touted Lawrence of Arabia Superbit still is plagued with the edge enhancement applied automatically by their crappy Sony equipment. :angry: Funny, they used to be pretty good but they're rapidly turning into Artisan.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
A boycott would make absolutely no dent, no difference.
Members of the forum have friendly contacts at Columbia Tri-Star. We need to put them to use if they still exist. I'm surprised Ron hasn't chimed in with his thoughts on this.

*edit* Didn't know he was on vacation...my bad.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Malcom,

One thing is for sure...Columbia really thinks these kids have got some scrutiny...I mean...they're preparing a 5.1 DTS mix for the Annie SE to appeal to their audiophile nature...

:rolleyes

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Tell me about it. My little 4-year-old cousin is constantly saying "No dts, no sale." :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
so they can just go cheap and port over a VHS transfer.
You're onto something, Malcolm.

If that's what they're doing, perhaps they should use the old RCA/Columbia P&S video transfer, when the film was first on video back in 1983.

And why stop there? Let's have "Dolby System on Linear Tracks" too!

Heck, why don't they just put on the edited-for-television version which aired on NBC in the mid-80s?

There were not one, but TWO widescreen LDs of Annie, one from RCA/Columbia c. 1989, one from Columbia TriStar in 1994, and a 16x9 widescreen DVD with a P&S option. No outcry there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks