What's new

Matching Wharfedale 8.1 with Crystal 100 center (1 Viewer)

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering upgrading the mains with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's and the Wharfedale Crystal 100 center channel speaker. Would they be a good match in terms of timbre? If not, what center will work with the 8.1's for less than $100?
I've only had the entry level Kenwood HTB-206 system for about 2 weeks and after discovering this wonderful forum, the upgrade bug bit. The cheap Kenwood one way speakers are adequate for movies, but I listen to music more. Space is very limited and so is my budget, that's why I'm considering the 8.1's and the 100.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Ken

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, what exactly is your budget?
The Diamonds are damn nice but the Crystals aren't all that bad themselves either.
My brother has had them for a few months now though I haven't had much time to give them a good listen.
The Crystal center is on sale at ecost for $50 right now and along with some Crystal 20s in the front($65 a pair, also on sale) would make a great inexpensive system.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chad,
Actually I was going to get the Crystal 10's for the rears. But since ecost are out of the Diamonds and not taking any more orders, I may be forced to get the 20's for mains as you suggested. Maybe you can take a listen to your brother's and let me know what you think of them. Do you think a WH2 center would go with either Diamond or 20 mains?
Ken

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, I'd go for the Crystal center if that's what you're gonna get for the mains and surrounds also.
I'm sure you've read all about the timbre matching issue with your front soundstage.

I'll try and get over to my brothers this week sometime and get back with you.
He has the larger tower Crystal 40s and Crystal center with Diamond 8 dipole surronds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks