What's new

Matching up a sonosub to Energy Take 5? (1 Viewer)

PatSloan

Agent
Hello,
First post here. I have always wanted to build my own sub. It looks like these "sonosubs" are the way to go. I have a line on a set of used Energy Take 5 speakers sans sub. Could I build a reasonably priced powered sonosub to compliment these speakers for home theater? I would need to keep the sub as small as possible ( wife factor ) I have seen a few designs that are about the size of a lamp table. These look
great and I think the wife would approve. What do you all think is a good project for the value?
FYI my current setup is:
toshiba 32" tv
toshiba 6109c dvd/dts amp
couple of mini system speakers that i stole from a mini system.
No surrounds.
Thanks for any advice.
--pat
PS is ~$300 bucks for a set of lightly used Take 5's a reasonable price to pay?
------------------
--pat

Marc_D

Grip
Pat:
I think that most everyone will agree that you need at least matching mains and center, and surrounds if possible. The sub however does not need to match. So if that is a good price for the used Energy speaker I would snatch them up and build a sub to compliment them. You will see a VERY HUGELY DRAMATIC improvement from your current set-up by adding a matching center and mains and the addition of a sub and surrounds.
As far a DIY subs go, I would recommend the Shiva, there are a lot of Shiva based projects on the web for reference. Surf some posts to get more info and check out other members websites, as quite a few of us have built our own subs. I have never used sonosub, but it seems all the rage with the kids these days. :)
Go buy the Energy speakers and build a sub, you won't regret it.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks