What's new

Matching Tweeters' Material - How Important? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Proud owner of some Mission loudspeakers (you may have your own opinion, but I like 'em). I currently have the 77 series, with 771's in front and the 77C1 center channel. I've thought about upgrading the fronts from the 771's, which are really bookshelf speakers, to towers from time to time, but have never pulled the trigger.

Found a sale online for the 78 series. Neither the woofers nor the tweeters are identical in materials/composition. My plan would be to retain my 77C1 center and add either the 782's or 783's. The midrange drivers in the 783 is larger than the 5.25" woofers on the 77C1, whereas the 782 has the same size midrange as 77C1, but of a different composition.

The tweeters are the same 1" size all around, but the 77C1 uses a fabric dome, whereas the 78 series has a viscous-laminated soft dome tweeter. I see this as a possible issue.

Assuming all levels are properly calibrated, am I going to hear a real difference in tone during pans from left-center-right? Is there that much to be gained by buying a series 78 center channel speaker, which has same size drivers as 77C1, but just different materials (but is not on sale). Even with a 78 series center would I still hear a change in tone and/or sibilance in pans due to different sizes of midrange and/or woofers if I purchased the 783's?

Hope someone can offer some advice.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I have NHT's for mains and a cheap BIC 62 for the center. I was strapped for cash when I needed (NEEDED? :D ) a new center and the BIC is loaded with a soft dome much like the NHT's. Same material, anyway.
I'm not sure what I may be missing, but it's a great match. I never use it for 5 ch stereo, but for movies the front stage pans evenly in tone and level at all octaves, no problem.
In your case, with different tweet materials, you may notice some differences, possibly subtle, possibly not.
Good Luck!

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I would say quite important, especially up front. You may not notice the difference though. I think the details you get from the highs and the spatial presence/soundstage would be lacking somewhat with tweeters of different design/materials.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The tweeter is the most important driver to match IMO.

If the speakers don't use identical tweeters I don't know how they would be called "timbre" matched with how much directional detail is involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks