1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Matching Studio and Northridge Series

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DorianBryant, Apr 21, 2004.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Some of this has been touched upon. Yet if you all could still give some input to this case in particular. My speaker set-up is this:
    Fronts-S38II
    Center-N Center II
    Surrounds-N26
    Surround back-N24
    Sub-inexpensive modified KLH

So the question I have is related to timbre matching. I cannot tell a difference in transition between the center and the s38 but have yet to hear it with a S center. I have tried to find one but I know they were available for just over $100 just 2 months ago. Now with them being dc'd they are selling used ones for 250.

Should i leave well enough alone? Would anyone suggest going to say an EC35 (E-Bay new $149) or even selling the s38 and get some N38's?

Not sure of the best balance to be had and would like to know from those using similar set-ups. Thanks

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would definitely hold on to the S38s. An EC35 might be worth a try but I don't think it will make a huge difference. It's more similar to the S38s in that it's a 3way design, but still uses the same 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter from the N series.

Another idea might be a single S38 or S26 as your center. You can get a pair of S38s directly from www.harmanaudio.com for $200 or a pair of S26s for only $136. You could even pick up 2 pairs of S38s for a perfectly identical 6 channel system (assuming your backs aren't wall mounted, which seeing your speaker choice makes me thing they may be). Either way you can get a pair of S38s for less than a single S-Center. Could probably even sell the extra S38 here on the HTF to someone in a similar predicament.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Stephen, getting another pair would be the best. I have both the S38II's and E50's and I like the S38s alot more than the E50's, so just stick with the 38s.

-Nate

4. DorianBryant

Thanks. I wondered how the E series sounded in comparison. I had thought of going with a single S38 as a center. Although then space becomes an issue. I am happy with the sound quality from the N center but would like a center that can handle more power. Thanks

5. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

I run 3 S26II's as my front stage and love it. (2 S36IIPM's in the back) No problems with timbre matching either! [​IMG]

3 S38II's would sound great!

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I say get rid of the N Center, get an S-Center II as it is truly a very impressive center speaker. If you don't wanna dish out $250 for it (I dished out $270 for it 2.5 months ago because it was impossible to find), then do as others have suggested and get an S38II or S36II as a center speaker. I wouldn't put an S26II as a center with those S38IIs because of the 2-way and 3-way differences. I'd also suggest you replace your N series surrounds with S36IIs. You'll be very happy with the results of an entire JBL Studio Series set up, I guarantee it [​IMG]

7. DorianBryant

I am thinking the refurb set of s38 from the HK web site is looking pretty good for $197. I am not sure how to fit in the custom entertainment center I made but that is a great deal. I would love the S center but if I bought the S38 then i could easily sell one and make it an even cheaper center.

The tough part is convincing the wife. I am so hooked on this stuff but also need to put the finishing touches on the house we just built!