What's new

Matching speakers (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
The FAQ's for newbies says...

>"Timbre Matching .....is very important to ensure that >you get the same "type of sound" out of every speaker.

Do users of this forum have any tips on matching speakers? Aside from the motor-cycle/moped example in the FAQs are they other ways i can try to "match" speakers?

After earlier feedback from this forum, I think I am going to ask Santa to bring me a new Receiver that supports Dolby Digital and will retain my two Infinity Reference Three speakers as left/right speakers. I will pick up a new sub-woofer, center speaker, and two rear speakers.

I can't exactly carry my Infinity speakers to the store with me, any ideas where to start with this "matching" process?

Andy

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ideally you'd want identical speakers all around. This is very rare.

By far the most common, and for all intensive purposes the standard timbre matching is to get speakers that are designed to match, usually within the same line or series of a given manufacturer.

While different lines can often sound very different within the same manufacturer, a company *generally* approaches their designs with similar sound goals, or a sound signature i guess you could say, in mind, but at different proce points. I wouldn't classify speakers solely by brand, but you could, for instance, make some broad generalizations between brands, for instance a Dynaudio, and a Klipsch are very different indeed, and I would be pretty confident in making a judgement as to the general sound of an un-heard speaker from each.

So, I would try to find an infinity speaker foremost, probably something from the same line, or if that line is discontinued, something from a similar line that is available today, usually just an updated version of the same line or design, etc.

Some would also suggest you find used the center that was designed to match your mains, if it is no longer available.

Tim K

Second Unit
Start with Infinity's website or the materials you received with your Infinity speakers. Ideally, you'd want Infinity Reference Three's matching center channel and surrounds. It doesn't appear that they are current products. Your best bet is to get out your manuals or go to Inifinity's website and look up the manuals for your speakers. Look at the specs on the tweeter and woofers...then look at the other lines Infinity currently offers. Find speakers with the same size/type tweeter and same size/type woofers. These will likely be the best match for the speakers you currently have.

For example, my front L/R speakers are Boston Accoustic VR-950. They use Boston's 3/4" Lynnfield VR Aluminum Dome Tweeter and 5 1/4" woofers. The VR-10 Center Channel in that line also uses the 5 1/4" woofers and the same 3/4" tweeter. I Also needed surrounds to match, but needed small, wall-mountable speakers. So I reviewed their product lines and found that their Micro-90s speakers use the same exact tweeter. Even though they are in a different product line, manufacturers tend to use alot of the same components. The more similar the components the more similar the sound. Keep in mind that matching your Front L R & C speakers are the most important for a smooth soundstage, whereas the surrounds are somewhat less important.

Hope this helps!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
did i write that part of the faq? i think i did.

as already stated, if at all possible, try to (at the very least) stay within the same brand. generally, infinity's will certainly sound most similar with eachother.

like chris said, you could make some broad generalizations about speakers.

for example, i would say infinity's are somewhat "bright" or "forward" in their sound. if you couldn't get more infinitys, then i would say a good match may be a klipsh speaker - they're definitely bright (just look at the horn tweeter).

so...i would say they may be a good match.

also, consider this. while i preach the gospel, i gotta admit my ears aren't that good. i can hear drastic differences in speakers...but subtle ones are too difficult for me. so...if you get speakers which are pretty close - it may be good enough for you.

as always, you should experiment and listen to as many different speakers as possible. this will help you get an idea of what other speakers sound like...which will help you make a more informed decision.

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies so for.

FYI, the data on my speakers is...

1x - EMIT Tweeter
1x - 3.5" (6.5cm) Midrange
1x - 8" (20.3cm) Polypropylene Woofer
Dimensions: 22.5"H x 12.5"W" x 10.25"D

So, should I be looking for a center speaker of similar design and size/specs?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about the specs.

As I so thoroughly explained, it's about the sound. Try to get speakers from the same line/brand, fail that listen for speakers that sound the same.

The size of drivers, the number of "ways" is irrelevant to the overall sound type, i would say.

That tells me ABSOLUTELY nothing about how a speaker will sound. About as much as what color they are. This is irrelevant to the timbre. Again, your best bet to match the timbre is same line/brand, or a LOT of critical listening and familiarity with speakers.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
The size of drivers, the number of "ways" is irrelevant to the overall sound type, i would say.
absolutely agree on that. i've heard some two way speakers that simply blow away three way speakers ... some bookshelf speakers that sound better then floor-standing ... etc.

specs mean zero, zilch, nada, butkus ... it's all about the sound.

Tim K

Second Unit
That tells me ABSOLUTELY nothing about how a speaker will sound. About as much as what color they are. This is irrelevant to the timbre. Again, your best bet to match the timbre is same line/brand, or a LOT of critical listening and familiarity with speakers.
I couldn't disagree more. In fact, what you are saying is contradictory. The reason the specs are important to matching the sound is the same reason to stay within the same brand! If you look through Infinity's lineup and find other speakers that use the same tweeters and drivers, it is more likely that the sound will be closer.

Why do you think my Center Channel and Mains blend so well together??? It's not just because they both say "Boston Acoustic" on them. It's because Boston Acoustics put the SAME tweeter and SAME drivers in all three. That is why I told him to review the specs of his speakers. To simply find out which tweeters and drivers Infinity used in his speakers so he could find other Infinity speakers that also used those tweeters and drivers.

When I recommend looking at cone size and composition I'm not recommending he look at other brands that use the same size tweeter or same material...I'm saying to look at other Infinity speakers that use the SAME tweeter and SAME drivers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't agree more with what Tim just said, which wasn't what I was saying before, so it needn't be a disagreement.

As I stated above, the BEST way to get the same sound, is to get the same speaker (pretty much a no brainer). Second to that, a speaker designed very similarly using the same drivers, almost always from within the same line/brand.

Then again, speakers that use the SAME or mostly the same drivers can also sound vastly different because of cabinet, crossover, yadda yadda.

It sounds to me like we all agree with each other.

Tim K

Second Unit
If you agree with me disagreeing with you then you are disagreeing with you....which means that I agree with you :)

Bottom line, stick with Infinity for your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks