What's new

Matching speakers to Arcam AVR200 (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've made a long post elsewhere describing my speaker search.

Short version is that I'm down to two choices, each of which offer something I really like but are quite different from each other.

I'm currently considering

B&W CM2s front mains
B&W CMC centre
B&W 600 S3 rears

pros: highly detailed, wide soundstage, three dimensional quality, surprisingly low bass extension (CM2s), nicely controlled
cons: (possible, haven't had more than a couple of hours with them) brighter than what I'm used to (though unlike other "bright" speakers I've auditioned, not harsh after 5 mins.) and therefore could become fatiguing

Paradigm Monitor 5s front and rear
Paradigm CC-370 centre

pros: nicely rounded mids and bass, nice detailing (not as pronounced as B&Ws), more familiar "warmth" (remind me of my old beloved Celestion DL6s), more affordable (at least in Montreal) tonal balance
cons: lack the precise clarity and imaging of the B&Ws

I was all set to go with the B&Ws as of last Friday night. However, the next evening, I spent 6 hours getting re-acquainted with my DL6s (haven't listened to them in 19 months, recently loaned to a good friend, have owned them since 1986) and concluded that what I really want to do is find three more DL6s and be done with it. Can't be done though. But it did put me back on the fence re: my two options above.

I know I could always go out and audition some more brands, though I've already spent time with over a dozen (including several series within several brands) and I may yet do that. Or I may just make my wife listen to each of the above and have her choose (I can just feel the collective shudder running through the forum) as she will also have to live with the choice, and I quite like each choice, for different reasons.

All of this to ask the following:
Does anyone have experience/opinion with either of the speaker sets (or portions thereof) with Arcam?

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not familar with the B&W or Paradigm speakers.

But I have an AVR200 and you mentioned you might still audition speakers. I use Dynaudio Audience speakers with my AVR200 and they sound fabulous, both for music and movies. Consider giving them a listen if you can (although I don't know what your budget is).

Dean

Joris van W.

Auditioning

I also own an Arcam / Dynaudio Audience combination. Nice to read I'm not the only one ;) . It's a good combination when you like a 'warm' sound. If you have the change go and listen to it.

I don't know the Paradigm speakers. In my opinion B&W generally is a little to 'boomy'.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sadly, the Dynaudios are simply out of my budget. No dealers in my temporary home area of NE Ohio and (owing to the vagaries of exchange rates and import duties, too expensive in my real home, Montreal). My Arcam dealer has offered to let me take some bookshelves home for a few days to audition.

Energy C-3s (I liked the C-5s awhile back, but floorstander are probably out of equation for space reasons, though not altogether eliminated)

Boston Acoustic VRM 50s/60s (probably too expensive but my dealer has good prices for repeat customers)

Snell Qbx 20s/15s (same idea as Boston Acoustic re prices)

I have to say, though, this speaker auditioning is getting way out of hand and I almost feel like staying with my cheapos and start auditioning again next year. I'm beginning to envy my friend who told me last Friday night, after listening to my speaker shopping woes, he just walked in to a store, picked a speaker at random, had the guy play a couple of tracks and bought them on the spot. I've heard them (largish JBL bookshelves), not my style, but not bad. I guess ignorance (or luck) is bliss.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Until I sprung for the extra cost of the Dyns, I was about to get a set of Acoustic Energy Evo speakers. Might give those a try if you have a dealer for them. Your Arcam dealer should carry them since they come from the same US Distributor: Audiophile Systems, Ltd.

Dean

Joris van W.

Auditioning
Check this site. They have a separate Arcam thread. Maybe you find some info there.

www . avforums . com

(sorry for the strange link, but I can't post links yet, I did not post enough messages ):angry:

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks. BTW, I picked up my receiver Monday, finally had some time yesterday afternoon to hook everything up (alas with my inadequate current speakers). I'd like to tell everyone that things went smoothly and even my modest speakers sounded better. I'd like to, but I can't.:angry: About 3, yes 3, seconds after I turned the Arcam on, it blew a fuse. Reboxed the receiver and brought it back. My dealer was quite accomodating. He placed an order to overnight me a new one and loaned me an A65 amp so I could audition some speakers in the meantime. Took home some Energy C-3s, hooked them up and sat down with my wife to listen.

Verdict: Too bright and fatiguing for my wife. This was at a modest volume. And so the search continues.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
Considering that you live in Canada, have you tried out Totem Acoustics yet?

Another option you may like is JMLabs

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Shane,
While we normally live in Canada (I was just back in Montreal for a three day weekend, regarding my speaker shopping noted above), we're temporarily residing just outside of Akron, Ohio until Sept./Oct. It's been difficult for me to get any sense of the prices of the two brands you mention. My impression is that they are likely out of my budget of 1800-2000$ US for five speakers (the sub will likely be addressed separately at around 500-700$US, depending on the cost of the rest of the speakers).

Do you know any pricing on these products?

Eric_Bender

Agent
Paul,

Stop in at Golden Gramophone on West Market Street in Fairlawn. They will be able to help you,.

I have purchased equipment there and recommend them highly. They carry a lot of high end equipment. They tend to prefer natural sounding equipment over bright equipment.

I purchased an Adcom GFA 545 Amp, Calaudio Ikon MkII CD Player, Boston Acoustics A150 II 3 way speakers and an Adcom GTP500II Preamp Tuner.

My father has purchased even more from them. Aragon Amp and preamp combo, Mirage Speakers, Denon Tape Deck, Oracle Turn Table and others.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think my dealer will give me a good deal. I think I can score, at significant savings, Boston Acoustics VR-M60 fronts (demo model), VR-M50 rears, VRC centre and PV700 sub. Could probably get VR-MC for 150-200$ more but I don't know if it's worth it (as I can apply the difference to a better universal DVD player (Denon 2900 instead of 2200). If he goes for my offer, I will definitely go with the speakers. For the sub, so far I've liked the Paradigm PV-1000. Haven't heard a Boston sub yet. I've seen all the "killer sub" threads from the last little while but all I'm looking for is something to fill in the bottom end, not knock me out of my chair, loosen my fillings or cause my ceiling to collapse. My room won't be large and I'm not a fan of pipe organs.

Anyone think the VR-MC is worth the extra money as a centre?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I auditioned the Arcam A80, I heard Paradidm Studio 20s, Signature S2s and Joseph Audio RM7si signatures. The 20s sounded pretty good, the Signatures sounded great, and the RM7sis were amazing. What is the budget?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The budget is 2000-2500$ taxes included for 5 speakers and a sub, so while the options you mention are probably phenomenal, they (except perhaps the 20s) are out of my range. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How about a Rocket package? www.av123.com

IMO, I'd put the money towards great mains and sub, and skimp on the rears at first. The mains and sub are doing 95% of the work. You can always upgrade the rears down the road.

If you don't need something to vibrate your eyeballs, you could consider the HSU VTF-2. I have this sub, and it definitely fills in the bottom octave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks