Matching speakers...low budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Raj_asaurus, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

Right now I have a Pioneer VSX-812K receiver with a Dayton 10" and some Polk RTi38 and this summer i'm moving into my frat house where I'll probably live for 2 years so i want to get some rear speaks. i cant really afford much, but I've heard good things about BIC America speakers and the DV-62 bookshelfs only cost 120 online and seem pretty good for the price, would these go very well with my current setup?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. i dont want to spend much more than 150 INCLUDING speaker wire.

2. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Hey Raj,
    I'm using a pair of BIC V62's as mains and Wharfedale WH2's for rears. And I think the WH2's are a great bang for the buck at about half the cost the BICs. But you have to consider how they are being used. When I listen to music, I only use two channels (mains) and the sub for the simple reason almost all my music is originally recorded in two channel not five or six. The rears are not on for music. When watching a dvd, most of the sound is coming out of the two mains and the center, with the rears performing only a small percentage of the time.
    The WH2s are designed to be surrounds, small in size, they can be hidden easily or mounted on the wall. Mine are hidden, sitting on end tables, one behind a lamp and the other behind a plant. People watching a movie on my couch get tripped out because they have no idea where the rear surround sounds are coming from.
    For anyone on a small budget, the WH2s will not disappoint. But if your heart is set on the BICs, you'll be happy with them too. If they're good enough for mains they certainly will be for rears.

3. Raj_asaurus

if I use a prologic setting on my receiver will it play 2channel music on all channels? Also how much are the WH2's and what online vendor has them?

4. Greg.G

Greg.G Stunt Coordinator

I got my WH-2s from buy.com for $58, a great deal with your choice of finishes.

5. Raj_asaurus

what does anyone think of the Diamond 8.1s? Also anyone able to answer that prologic question?

6. Raj_asaurus

also does it matter if you have 2 8 ohm speakers and 2 6 ohm speakers to the same receiver? Whats up with those Wharfedale Zaldeks? Anyone hear these?

7. Raj_asaurus

Would Paradigm Atoms match at all?