Matching receiver with speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by timZa, Aug 24, 2006.

1. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

I guess you get out of your speaker what you put in them. but where is the cut off. i would like the best speaker to match the performance of my receiver. how do you compare the specs for this?
    is it by way of $$, ie my receiver cost 700 bucks so spending $1500 on speakers is over kill? i bought a sub that cost more then my receiver does that not make sense? in other words will i only get $700 worth of performance out of my $1200 sub?

2. Josh Haugo

Josh Haugo Extra

Your reciever is fine as long as you like it. They are probably just trying to get you to buy a reciever from them as well. Personally, I can't tell much of a difference between recievers, they all sound about the same. Some have more features or a higher power rating, but that's the main difference.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you can, pick the speakers first, then get the amplification you need to achieve what you want. Price is not the best indicator of speaker quality, but I get what you are asking. I'd say, just post up what your tastes/preferences are and how big your room is and wait for the suggestions to flow in.

4. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

My room is 4000 cft but i use half that for viewing. i have an onkyo sr702 receiver, a PB12+2 , with some bottom of the line Polk towers. speakers I'm looking at are Asend 34se, Axiom, Swan, and Klipsch Rf series. i lonly use it for TV viewing, no music. im not even gonna hook up my sub till i get a new set of speakers. i will be using 5.1 and my main concern is the 3 up front. Klipsch interest me cuz i hear they are easy to drive and i can buy them local.

Thank you for your suggestions.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    4K is pretty large. If you like the sound of them, the Klipsch might be a good choice. The Ascends should do well up front too though, and the 702 should be sufficient to drive them.

6. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John,i heard the Klipsh but the guy had some scratchy music on them. i want them for HT so does listning to music work? i dunno it's either the Asends or the Klipsh now.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I think klipsch does a good job for movies and not so much music, they are efficient too requiring less wattage for overall decibels. They should keep up with the sub for the most part.

8. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks , i decided to go with Klipsh because i got 20% off. 80 bucks off each speaker was to tempting. im sure they will be a far cry better then my cheap polks.