What's new

Matching rear surrounds - how important? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about moving to a 7.1 set-up and looking into the Klipsch ss-1 for the rear surrounds. I currrently have HTD's all the way around. What do you think?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't know about the tonal quality of those particular speakers, but i do feel that timbre-matching is important.
i have polks up front, but some pinnacle speakers in the back and i can definitely tell the difference. even when i'm just doing pink-noise calibration i can tell they're different....i guess it's not so bad when watching a movie so i haven't bothered to upgrade.
next time i get speakers, i'm going to make sure they're all the same. maybe pick up 6 mini-monitors and a sub. now that sounds like a plan!
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i've been looking at blowing my wad of cash on a pair of PSB (Image) 6T's and a 9C center. i was gonna get some 'cheaper' surrounds (likely JBLs) so i could get the most out of the front 3, but maybe i should reconsider. these will all match to my SVS 25-31PC...thoughts? (sorry distract from your original question Brian!)
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I think most of us strive to have matching speakers all around, but by far the most important match is the center to the mains.
The biggest difference I notice is with voices. Since the surround channels are rarely used for reproducing voices, having them matched to the rest of the system isn't all that big a deal.
As stated above, pink noise will bring out the difference like night and day, but with normal use, you'll probably never know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks