matching power amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Torsten Zurek, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Torsten Zurek

Torsten Zurek Auditioning

Hi there,
    i'm currently seriously thinking about upgrading my system with a matching power amp. Obviously the choice is not easy due to the variety of available products. I also read that one should carefully select the amp so the combination of speakers,receiver and amp match. My current system consists of a HK AVR 8000 and paradigm reference V3 100's, CC470 and 20's. The sub is a crappy Yamaha but that will soon change. Now, i was told that the 100's should be BI- wired and powered by at least 200W.The HK, although pretty powerfull, cannot deliever that amount of juice. It sounds great but when i really turn it up it seems that the receiver runs out of clean power. Maybe , i don't really know , but that is what i suspect.I like to watch movies a lot but i normally listen to music only in stereo and then rather loud if i can. Since the center and the surrounds don't really need too much power i was thinking about buying a 2 channel amp maybe 3 channel. I'm planing to spend about max 800-1000$ for 2/3 channels. i don't mind used stuff if its well taken care off. i had the following ideas:

Parasound HCA 1500A/2003
    Earthquake cinenova 3 channel used ~1000$
    Rotel RMB 1090
    Adcom 555
    Sunfire 2 channel version
    B&K 4420

Now, my question is which of these would work the best with my receiver and speakers. Do u have any other suggestions?
    Do i really need a power amp?
    Should i go with a 2/3 channel amp or go for a 5 channel amp(from the above mentioned). Also i'm considering 2 mono amps if thats the way to go.( makes it easy to upgrade each channel later). BTW the Spouse acceptance factor is a big issue !!!

Thanks for taking the time to read , think, if u really have to and answer.

Zuck

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I personally don't think an amp makes as big of a difference in 'matching' terms than a pre/pro or receiver can. Feeding you speakers with enough good clean power is the biggest factor in amps, IMO.

FWIW, I use all 2 channel pro-audio amps for my 7.1 (including passive sub).

I don't think it would matter much using mono vs 2 or 3 or 5 channel amps. Just my thoughts.

A 5 channel probably has a better WAF to it. [​IMG]

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I bought a Earthquake Cinenova 5 channel amp and should be getting it Wednesday. 300wpc should drive my new maggies just fine.

On a side note, I am currently selling a Rotel RB-990BX 2 x 200wpc amp. Look in the Hardware For Sale forum!!