Matching Polks? please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I currently have Polk rears and a Polk center. Tonight i went to test out which fronts i want to get to match my front sound stage. I tested Polk R40's, Polk 600i's and Polk 800i's. First the R40's sounded better than the 600's but the 800's took them both as they should due to the built in sub. The problem is none of them sounded like the old (middle- late 1980's) big (12" driver) Sanyo SS-760's that i am currently using as fronts. Don't laugh i got them free. What i do know about these speakers is they are

100 watt

8ohm

Sensitivity 92dB/W-M

Crossover 3kHz/5kHz

help me,,should i get the matched polks and "get used to it"

or leave these big boys to do their job.

thanks,

jay

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

First off, I'd assume that you're not using a sub with your system.

Speakers made nowadays are built with the assumption that you'll have a sub in your system, since current surround formats call for one. You won't get the same low end response from from newer speakers by themselves. The days of needing monster floor standing speakers to have a good sounding system are over.

I'd think about the RT55i's and a sub....that would put the oomph into your system.

3. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I have a polk sub, it came with the original speaker package i bought years ago, and am currently looking to upgrade it to a SVS20-39.

thanks

jay

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Jassen,

Are you sure you were listening to the RT800i's? The 800i's have two mids and a tweeter. You don't get a built in subwoofer until you move up to the RT1000i's. But I had a pair of 600i's and now a pair of 1000i's and love all of Polks speakers.

I'm going to agree with Mike here. Since you do have a sub and are planning on upgrading to an SVS sometime down the road the RT55i's would be a good choice. They are essentially the 800i's but in bookshelf form. And a matching set across the front should sound much better than a mix and match set.

Dan Hine

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

First off, I really like Polk speakers. I'd go with Mike and Dan and recommend you give a listen to the Polk RT55i's or even the RT35i's. I listened to a Polk sub briefly today and really wasn't that impressed and there is no need for you to go with Polk for the sub. I and many others here would have you consider subs like SVS, Hsu, and Adire, all of which provide great design and bang for the buck, due to the fact they sell them online direct to the consumer.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Just a note: Polk Audio's website has charts on the product info page for each speaker that show which of their speakers match to which. That ought to help you find what best matches your center speaker. Set them all to small and let the sub handle the bass, and you should be good to go (especially if you get an SVS). In my small living room, I'm running 4 Polk R10's with a CS175i and the PSW350 sub (which I'm also looking at changing to SVS), and I couldn't be happier with the sound.