1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Matching JBL HLS to new speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanGraney, Apr 6, 2005.

1. DanGraney

DanGraney Auditioning

Hello all... I'm planning on getting the new Pioneer 1015 receiver and currently have a 5.1 HLS speaker setup. I'm going to switch to 7.1 with the new receiver, but the HLS are no longer sold (the front and rear speakers are all 610s). Are there some comparable JBLs now available (say, at Best Buy) that wouldn't seem out of place. How would the E90s do?
    TIA

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If you have the JBL HLS Center in the mix, then you'd want to just add a small JBL E-Series bookshelf for the Rear Center Channel location.

You would have excellent voice-matching for your Fronts, Center and Side Surrounds and very good voice-maching @ your Rear Center Effects Channel.

FYI:
    HLS SERIES – HLS CENTER
    • High-Frequency Driver: 10mm polycarbonate dome attached to a constand directivity horn

HLS SERIES – HLS610
    • High-Frequency Driver: 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn

NOTE: 10mm = 0.39 inch (25/64 inch or slightly larger than 3/8 inch)

JBL E-10 and entire E-Series:
    • High-Frequency Transducer: 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome, shielded

Phil

3. DanGraney

DanGraney Auditioning

Actually, I do have the HLS Center (and Sub). I was kind of considering moving up to towers, though. But I guess there's no need.

4. Phil Iturralde

Unless you're planning to upgrade the Center, then I recommend keeping your 610s in Front with your timbre-(voice)-matched HLS Center. The Front Channel panning effects will be seamless going Left > Center > Right or visa-versa!

What powered sub do you have in your mix?

Phil

5. DanGraney

DanGraney Auditioning

I was considering upgrading eventually... it's a 10-inch sub, I believe (I bought all the speakers at the same time.) I suppose I could pick up the E10s for the rear.

6. Phil Iturralde

These are wall-mountable and after you REFERENCE Calibrate your HT Speakers/Sub again (equalize your SPL @ your 'sweet spot'), they will blend-in very nicely along with your HLS with the (6.1) Rear Center Surround effects like "The Incredibles", Star War Episode 1 and 2 DVDs, etc.!

Phil

7. DanGraney

DanGraney Auditioning

Okay, last question... I think:
    Would the E10s be better utilized as the "side" surrounds with 610s in the rear or vice-versa, with the 610s on the side and the E10s in the rear?

and thanks for all the info, Phil... you're input is saving me quite a bit of money, as I was considering moving to floor speakers for the fronts and use the system for movies 90% of the time.

reading through these boards, the HLS seem to be quite the gems... I will definitely check out the SVS.

8. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Cool!

I have HLS 610's and a HLS Center in the downstairs system powered by a Pioneer receiver!

Only thing I don't like about them is the tweeters are very fragile, nor are the woofers built to take any punishment.

Very good speakers.

9. Phil Iturralde

Save your money for an SVS!

I've owned 7 sub's (3 passive and the rest were powered including my SVS 25-31PCi) since the early 80's (use to sell them, audio/video equipment and computers for about 5 years) and my SVS 25-31PCi is the best investment I've made to complete my Home Theater setup!!! [​IMG]

Phil

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

There's a pair of HLS 615s on ebay with a buy-it-now price of only $70 + $48 shipping. Seems like a cheap way to upgrade to towers, stay timbre matched all around, and maybe even have enough money for a SVS PB10.

Ebay item number for the HLS 615s is 5765926929. It's not my auction or anyone i know, i'm not promoting it, just bringing it to your attention.

11. DanGraney

DanGraney Auditioning

Stephen, thanks for the info!

dan