What's new

Matching fronts with rears (1 Viewer)

IrwynW

Auditioning
I'm sure this is a pretty rudimentary question, but I was just wondering how important is it to match the front (L/R/C) and rear speakers. Right now I have polk R20s up front because they were really cheap. If matching is vital, then I'll stick with polk for fronts and rears (probably R15 rears). If matching is not, then I would probably get something like the jbl E30s. Then I could decide which one I like better as front speakers and get a center channel to match accordingly. Thanks

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Irwyn, IMO it depends on whether you're into multichannel music (SACD/DVD-Audio). If you are then matching is important (in fact it's recommended to have 5 of the same speakers), otherwise matching the fronts would suffice

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree. It's not 100% critical to match the fronts and rears, but by doing so it will ultimately give you a more even sounding system. My speakers are all matched and m/c DVD, SACD and DVD-A sounds much better than when they were not matched.

Marshall_M

Grip
I could tell a big difference when I got matched fronts. But then again my old speakers were crap. Don't laugh but my speakers are the RCA ones you can buy at Radio Shack. I wouldn't normally have bought them but the closeout price being 75% off regular I decided to try them. For $150 I got 4 of the Pro LX speakers and a matching center channel.

On a side note, my cheap RCA speakers blows my buddies bose system away.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Yeah but so does my $12 clock radio!

I like KEF speakers alot and used their 'matching' guide for a center and rear speakers.

It sounded good but I was not satisfied. I tried 2 different 'center speaker' but I ended up with (5) Q75s and even my wife was startled by the upgrade in sound.
No longer are the speakers individual; they come together in a soundstage which is what you want in 5 channel sound.

I know why they make center speakers so different from the rest but that differnce I believe makes them sound dramatically different then the others

IrwynW

Auditioning
Cool, thanks for the replies.
Does anyone have any opinions as between the R20s and the E30s? Compusa has the E30s, but they are not hooked up so I have no way of hearing them. I am basing what little I know of them through reviews.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Most stores are awful places to listen to speakers.
I would find out their return policy and take them home and listen to some familiar music or movie.
If they say they have a restocking fee get them to wave it since you can't listen to them because they are not hooked.
Good Luck with the speakers
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks